UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 06:01:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,064 Posts in 3,267 Topics by 973 Members
Latest Member: lizwirgau
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Access (Land Use, RTF, Advocacy, etc)  |  General Land Advocacy  |  Topic: Our image as seen by others! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our image as seen by others!  (Read 8477 times)
Melissa Simmons
ghost

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 08:22:41 am »

Finally, the one thing I would like to add - UFWDA _absolutely_ needs a PR Director for the BOD!  We have been without one since last calendar year. 

~M~
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 08:45:55 am »

Question

How much of the PR Director was rolled into the Marketing job that Marti has?
I know she has been busting her butt getting new business's for United.

I am sure we have someone in our membership that has a marketing background, that could help, or donate some time to the Association!

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 09:34:06 am »

Shawn, I agree to a point on the YouTube idea.  It may reach the young kids with the 3" body lift who are out running power lines or construction sites.

In order to reach the general public/media, we need another avenue.  Maybe the new PR person will have an idea.  Let's hope we get a qualified nominee.

I know we have limited funds (no funds) to work on a project like this, but I can envision a few different videos.   Each roughly 2 to 3 minutes in length. 

Maybe one that stresses staying on the trail and show the consequences for failing to do that. (Closure and trail repairs) (Tread Lightly! style, but more assertive) (Peer pressure to stop tearing things up)

One that shows the family friendly scenic ride with a Club. (General feel good surburban wheelers)( I wrote a script for that this morning)

One that shows the volunteer Adopt-A-Trail work / community service work we do. (Responsible stewards of the land, we act/they sue)

Ideas are cheap.  Let's see what we can actually do.  Maybe we can get a grant or sponsors, but I don't want it to be an advertisement for any one company) 

Looking forward to seeing you all soon...Dave

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 09:43:43 am »

All

I think at the Land Use Conference in GJ, we can come up with some ideas, and keep them going.  This may give us an opportunity to look for funds at the same time.

Cal4wheel Foundation offers grants of $250.00 for different projects, and I think this could fit into what they are looking for.
I am not sure if other Associations offer the same thing, but would be a possibility to get them all to donate a few dollars that we could use to hire or partially fund a high quality video or two!

I will being the application for the Cal4 with me to AGM, and we can fill it out if we have a game plan on some of this.

Our idea here affects 4X4 users all over.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 10:01:51 am »

Todd many organizations have grants.. including the United Land Action Fund - which can be used for training and public awareness (I believe). 

There are avenues out there.

- Shawn

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Jim Mazzola
UFWDA President
ghost

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 11:39:16 am »

Maybe one that stresses staying on the trail and show the consequences for failing to do that. (Closure and trail repairs) (Tread Lightly! style, but more assertive) (Peer pressure to stop tearing things up)

One that shows the family friendly scenic ride with a Club. (General feel good surburban wheelers)( I wrote a script for that this morning)

One that shows the volunteer Adopt-A-Trail work / community service work we do. (Responsible stewards of the land, we act/they sue)

One more. With all the public land closures, there has been a move afoot to develop private park venues. In Michigan I'm working with a Genesee County Parks and Rec Dept. We have a few hundred acre use facility right now, but it's a 4 foot deep mud pit on almost trail you go on.  I have convinced the Park to build a 'Rock Course' . Now this may not sound like much but when Detroit, Flint, and S.E. Michigan in general are all within an hours drive, we will have standing room only for this type of development. HOWEVER, trying to show examples of rock course, log crawls, and other potentially challenging obstacles is all but impossible. Most videos of these types of activities usually ends up with a roll over.  NOT they type of example I want shown to a litigious community or county government.
So, I need a video of challenging obstacles that isnít' politically incorrect.
For example, Hollister Hills, does anyone have a video of some of their man-made courses?
jim-kb8ymf
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 12:57:37 pm »

Jim

Have you looked at www.pirate4x4.com for pictures and video of Hollister?
Some of those guys go out there all the time.

I will take a look around, and ask some of the other contacts I have out here.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Scott Sperling
Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 04:17:08 pm »

ALL GREAT† comments and Right where we need to be Heading.

Indiana FWDA has been doing trail rides for disabled kids at Camp Riley, out side of Indianapolis for a few years.† The Campers and staff LOVE it!† I don't know where we are with publicity but I believe we have had local TV coverage.† Scott Sperling is the Organizer for IFWDA.

Public education of the family, charity and volunteer aspects of FWDA is needed very much and would go a LONG way in telling the story about our sport.

Thanks,† †---Doug

Hope this helps- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-cC0Wyov08
Pictures from this years' event held couple weeks ago can be seen on the http://www.fatboysjeepers.com/ website.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:30:39 pm by Scott Sperling » Logged

Member: Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association- Former President, Vice President, UFWDA Delegate and Raffle Chairman
Fat Boys Jeepers- Founding member and club coordinator- http://www.fatboysjeepers.com
dds4x4
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:05 pm »

Thanks, Scott!

Would you post it and any other info over here, where Shawn has made a new thread -

http://www.ufwda.org/smf/index.php?topic=1042.msg5228#msg5228
Scott Sperling
Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 09:12:57 pm »

Thanks, Scott!

Would you post it and any other info over here, where Shawn has made a new thread -

http://www.ufwda.org/smf/index.php?topic=1042.msg5228#msg5228

No problem...  Wink

Member: Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association- Former President, Vice President, UFWDA Delegate and Raffle Chairman
Fat Boys Jeepers- Founding member and club coordinator- http://www.fatboysjeepers.com
Melissa Simmons
ghost

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 09:10:06 am »

Todd, you said:

Question

How much of the PR Director was rolled into the Marketing job that Marti has?
I know she has been busting her butt getting new business's for United.

I am sure we have someone in our membership that has a marketing background, that could help, or donate some time to the Association!

Todd

I don't believe any of the PR Director responsibilities were rolled into the Business Development Manager position that Marti has filled.  In the new Business and Marketing Plan for the future direction of UFWDA the job of PR Director still exists.  In my mind anyway, and I welcome input from other BOD members, a division of labor is really needed as the work load is different between public relations (recasting to the correct image of real four wheel driving as opposed to the mythís and misperceptions fed by the anti-access groups) and business development (fostering good relationships between businesses and their customers, both of whom UFWDA represents). 

A PR Director that grasps the need to recast the correct image of four wheeling and our dedication to conservation, along with time and ability is essential and UFWDA must successfully fill our position for PR Director in order to give the proper attention that our image needs to be given.

The past year has been one of extraordinary challenges for this BOD - we have been shorthanded my entire term thus leaving those of us here doing double or triple the workload or in some cases just not doing the work at all.  Many late night board calls were spent making decisions on who would do the work that absolutely had to be done versus what work would have to be set aside.

If you know someone or know someone that knows someone with PR experience and background  Grin willing to STEP UP and do some work, trust me, the board would likely welcome them with open arms.

~M~

Lauren Levi
ghost

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 06:39:42 pm »

Shawn, I agree to a point on the YouTube idea.† It may reach the young kids with the 3" body lift who are out running power lines or construction sites.

In order to reach the general public/media, we need another avenue.† Maybe the new PR person will have an idea.† Let's hope we get a qualified nominee.

I know we have limited funds (no funds) to work on a project like this, but I can envision a few different videos.† †Each roughly 2 to 3 minutes in length.†

Ideas are cheap.† Let's see what we can actually do.† Maybe we can get a grant or sponsors, but I don't want it to be an advertisement for any one company)†

Looking forward to seeing you all soon...Dave

Hey all, Carla Boucher pointed me over to this thread, I had mentioned to her that I'm able to create videos and DVD's on my Mac and would love to get involved with trying to create something for YouTube for us to put up...all I need is footage and I can do the rest on my computer.  Please let me know if I can help out with getting something like that out there!
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 08:12:40 pm »

Thanks, Lauren.  We'll know more after the AGM next week.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President
ghost

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 07:31:43 pm »

Hello Dave, where did you get to with the video you were shooting?

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 07:36:22 pm »

Peter

It is almost done, and we should have a copy for SEMA.  This is per my emails with Dave today.

Good work by Dave and his crew on this.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Access (Land Use, RTF, Advocacy, etc)  |  General Land Advocacy  |  Topic: Our image as seen by others! « previous next »
Jump to: