UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 02:29:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,011 Posts in 3,222 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: ATVs boost town economies « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ATVs boost town economies  (Read 1200 times)
Todd Ockert
ghost

« on: July 18, 2007, 10:11:44 am »

This is part of an article from the Charleston Gazette about the financial advantaages of this trail system.
I am not sure if they have any 4X4 trails in this area or not.  Read the whole article, and you will see that the financial gain for these areas is huge, and they welcome it. 
Here is the link to the complete article.
http://sundaygazettemail.com/section/News/2007062328

Todd

ATVs boost town economies

By The Associated Press

GILBERT — Eric Burgess realized early there was no future in the boom and bust cycles of West Virginia’s coal industry. Instead, the coal-truck-driver-turned-entrepreneur is pinning his success on miles of all-terrain vehicle trails that crisscross the state’s southern coalfields.

“I’m going for the guy with the Denali, pulling four or six ATVs, looking to get dirty but stay in a place he is used to,” says Burgess, who is set to start construction on a 30-suite hotel in this town of about 400 residents.

The trails are part of the Hatfield-McCoy system, a network of 550 miles of off-road trails for four-wheelers and motorcycles that was named after two infamous families who carried on a 12-year feud in the region. The idea behind the trail system was to attract tourists and increase business opportunities to nine economically depressed counties where coal and timber once reigned.

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Chris Boucher
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:26:03 am »

Todd,
Fourwheelers here in VA, WV, MD, and NC are very aware of the Hatfield McCoy Trail System.  We all helped write letters of support to get the thing off the ground because it was touted that it would be a multiple use area.  Unfortunately, they dropped full size 4x4s from the "multiple" part when they got it approved.  Thier forums always talk about how they are going to open up areas for full size 4x4s, but we have not seen anything yet.  I cannot remember how long that trail system has been in operation, but we're still waiting.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:40:05 am »

Chris

In the article, it said sometime in 2000 the trail system opened.
Not sure how we as users could put some pressure on them to open up the trails to 4X4's.

I know that if they would allow 4X4's, the increase in money for the area would increase even more.
I know there are some studies out there of the financial impact of removing OHV users from an area.  I will have to find them again, and save them for future reference.

Sorry that you guys put a lot of support into this project, and then got excluded!

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Terry Rust
Southwest Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:51:26 am »

Todd
Some years ago the Fishlake NF did an economic impact of teh Piute ATV system in Utah, i like to provide that whenever possible to promote the economic impact of OHVs in rural areas. Colorado also has a much more comprehensive analysis with some pretty staggering numbers as I'm sure you know.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:55:50 pm »

I have seen some of the different numbers concerning how much we all spend.

It is in the Billions every year. 
Now, put that into perspective for a small town, and close the forest that is on their boarder where OHV users stop for gas, the last minute things they forgot at home.
I will find some of these numbers for the land use conference.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Keith Holman
Middle Atlantic Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 10:12:21 am »

In May 2004, I took one of the directors from Piedmont Triad Economic Development Council (North Carolina) on a ride-along through the trail system at Uwharrie NF. His primary objective was stated to be finding ways that area could take advantage of the crowds (yes, crowds is the right word) of 4x4 drivers on that trail. He asked a lot of questions about potential impact (where do you stay? what do you spend on an average visit? how much is tied up in your rig? what is missing?) but I dont know what they did with the information.

What are you supposed to do when you see an "endangered" animal eating an "endangered" plant?
--------
Bobby Spencer
ghost

Mountaineer Off Road Inc

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:17:08 pm »

the H&M trail system is making  loads of money for the small towns it winds through

In i think 2005  THe Kanawha County commision granted $50,000 to the H&M trails to further develop trails in Kanawha County for fullsize OHV recreation. Since then H&M have had a change in leadership and I have heard no word if anything has been done on this

In WV you cannot ride in any of the National Forests that I know of and there are no OHV parks open to fullsize 4x4's

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
ghost

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 08:38:01 pm »

the H&M trail system is making  loads of money for the small towns it winds through

In i think 2005  THe Kanawha County commision granted $50,000 to the H&M trails to further develop trails in Kanawha County for fullsize OHV recreation. Since then H&M have had a change in leadership and I have heard no word if anything has been done on this

In WV you cannot ride in any of the National Forests that I know of and there are no OHV parks open to fullsize 4x4's

Sounds like New Hampshire. We have worked with the White Mountain National Forest Service for years and have been very active in all of the meetings and public comment sections. They also told us we have 4x4 areas in the forest but nobody in the Forest Service can seem to show us where those areas are. We have even organized trips to have the Forest Service physically go out and show us the areas-somehow those trips never happen. We have had them show us on a map of the Forest as to where these areas exist but can we go out an use these areas? Nope. We feel your pain. But we keep plugging away hoping one day it will be worth the effort.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Executive Vice President/Chief Editor, Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
http://www.DeepWoodsExtreme.com
http://www.nea4wd.org
Keith Holman
ghost

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 01:43:18 pm »

There are (were?) a couple of roads that were not readily passable in your average car in the Monongahela NF that we (Capital Off Road Enthsuiasts) visited several years ago. Great scenery! Found it in an article for hikers/mountain bikers in National Geographics' Adventure magazine. Here is the trip report and some photos. Plans to get back out that way have been thwared by weather or other events since though.

What are you supposed to do when you see an "endangered" animal eating an "endangered" plant?
--------
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: ATVs boost town economies « previous next »
Jump to: