UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 01:15:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,012 Posts in 3,223 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Vehicle Safety requirements « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vehicle Safety requirements  (Read 2451 times)
Andy Steiner
ghost

« on: August 01, 2007, 12:57:16 am »

Does UFWDA have a list of vehicle safety requirements? Something similar to http://www.cal4wheel.com/events/safety.html found on California Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs?

Andy

Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:03:24 am »

Andy

We have not listed a set of safety requirements.  That is because we have not historically hosted, or sponsored events where this was an issue.

It would not be that hard to copy what someone else has done prior to this if everyone thinks it is a good idea for United to post a set of vehicle safety requirements that should always be met?

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Andy Steiner
ghost

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:56:57 am »

Todd,

Having a set of safety guidelines would be helpful to us member clubs. It's kind of confusing for a Nevada club to point to a California umbrella organization for guidelines instead of UFWDA.

Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:39:20 am »

Andy

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.
I will look at building a list of vehicle safety requirements for UFWDA, and posting them here, and on the main page.
Our 4WD awareness book has some, but they are spread around in it. 

Gene, the new Vice President and I will work on the 4WD awareness book, and the list for here also.

Where are you located?  You mentioned Nevada?

Thanks

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Andy Steiner
ghost

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:32:35 pm »

Where are you located?  You mentioned Nevada?

Las Vegas. I'm the Communication Lackey for Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers. a UFWDA member club. We're putting together this year's Hump N Bump http://www.vv4w.org/humpnbump.asp and realized that we will need to mention that we'll inspect the vehicles to make sure they have the necessary safety equipment. In the past, we've used the standards set down by NUFWA, but that organization is now defunct.

As a member club of United, it seemed to make sense to use a national organization's standards. However, UFWDA doesn't have any and it doesn't make sense to subscribe to standards set down by an organization that we are not members of like Cal4Wheel.

Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:52:31 pm »

Andy

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and like previously mentioned, we will post some up soon.  I am sure they will not differ that much from Cal4's or any other associations.

I hope to come to Hump and Bump this year, as it is right after SEMA.

I also think that Gene from the Nevada Backroaders is going to attend, and he is the new UFWDA Vice President.
Not sure if you guys have a vendor display, but I am sure Gene will contact you guys about a table for UFWDA info for the participants.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
ghost

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 10:19:53 pm »

Don't know if it helps but here is a list we operate by for Deep Woods Extreme in NH. Our mandatory equipment would pretty much work in any location.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Executive Vice President/Chief Editor, Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
http://www.DeepWoodsExtreme.com
http://www.nea4wd.org
dds4x4
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 11:27:45 pm »

Andy,

Here is a link to the Great Lakes FWDA Safety form.

http://www.glfwda.org/forms/Safety_Certification_Form_revised_3_06.pdf

You can review for your use.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 11:44:33 pm »

Looking at those two, and then at Cal4's, they are all about the same.  Only minor differences between the three.
I will go through them, and compile a list, and post it up here in a word document for clubs and organizations to use.
It will have check boxes, so it can be printed out, and used per vehicle if so desired.

Thanks for the inputs.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Jim Kitson
Great Lakes 4 Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 07:34:19 am »

GLFWDA has had a lot of discussion on this and our list is quite similar.  We also had the debate about inspections and liability.  We came down to saying this is what you need and what is recommended.  However, since "most" of us are not structural engineers, we can't comment on whether your equipment is "safe" or not.  I will do a simple visual inspection and point out issues that are observed.

We also put a caveat in about spare tires.  In today's world of beadlocks and extreme crawling, not "every" run requires a spare.  We decided to leave it up to the trail leader and his group depending on where they were going, how far from a main road, etc.

90 YJ with some stuff on it.

KD8EGK

MEMBER: Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Ass. #2665
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
ghost

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 12:37:29 pm »

We have quite a few licensed mechanics in our club so we do perform tech inspections prior to a vehicle going on one of our runs. We are not jerks about it but if someone is missing alot of the equipment or we feel their vehicle is not mechanically sound-we will suggest they not participate in the run. If they are missing something like a spare tire or whatever- they assume responsibility when they get stuck. I have attached a copy of our tech inspection form.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
Jim Kitson
ghost

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 01:39:05 pm »

Tammy,
While I respect that you have several licensed mechanics on staff, do you really want to assume the liability in that horrible case where a tow point give way and a person gets killed?  And then the family member of the killed person makes the accusation that "you inspected it and approved it".

This may be chasing the extreme but in our current legitious society, we felt it better that we inform you of what is right & wrong.

It can also be argued that if we do a quaility inspection of each vehicle that everyone would be safer.  But I have seen muddy vehicles show up at an event that would need a power washer first to see if their bumper mounts are rotting off or not.

Very tough call...........

KD8EGK

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
ghost

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 03:42:10 pm »

I think that would be a bit extreme, as you have admitted. We do the inspections as more of a way to create an order on our trail rides and to make sure that as far as we can tell the vehicle is mechanically sound. We don't just eyeball it and yes, I put alot of faith in who we choose to do our inspections because I know they are very knowledgeable. We are not handing out inspection stickers or anything like that. We are not certifying the vehicle by any standards. We are simply using a guideline of what we think the vehicle should have to be on the trail. We verbally communicate with the owner of the vehicle. We make sure they understand the risk involved and they do. We have them sign a release waiver and when you join our club you also sign stating you have read the release of liability on our Membership Application. Anyone can sue you for anything they want and we know it can happen. But at least we have taken preventative measures that will make us look better rather than not addressing the issue at all.
I can say our club has been around since 1992 and knock on wood-we have never had any problems. That is not to say we don't think everyday that something can happen! We already work on ways to address the issue if something does.

I'm not saying anyone has to use our info but we have used it for quite awhile and have found it to be effective. I thought I would pass the info along in case we can help another club out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:44:46 pm by Tammy Lynn Van Gemert » Logged

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
Jim Kitson
ghost

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

I think it is fair to say that both ways have merit and can be argued successfully.  We also have waivers and the like. It boils down to more than one way to do it.

KD8EGK

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
ghost

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 08:33:42 pm »

Absolutely. I hope you don't mistake my replies as arguments since that is not my intention at all. I am simply offering up information that will hopefully aid clubs who are trying to establish their own way of doing things. It is always helpful to have templates. Nobody has to use them but they are there if they would like to.
While discussing this with my husband, your comments have inspired us to add a statement at the bottom of our Tech Inspection sheets that will explain that the Tech Inspection is by no means a certified report of the safety of one's vehicle...etc.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Vehicle Safety requirements « previous next »
Jump to: