UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 10:53:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,036 Posts in 3,242 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Official Results of the Annual Meeting??? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Results of the Annual Meeting???  (Read 2188 times)
Steve Edmunds
Utah Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

President - Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association

« on: August 08, 2007, 01:34:39 pm »

I'll say sorry in advance...

but I have not seen any "Official Communication" as a result of the Annual Meeting.    As a new delegate to United, I was not able to get vacation time to attend the meeting - but that is not to say that I am not interested in knowing what business was accomplished.  Is there going to be any "formal communication to the membership" on the meeting? 

At least you can announce who received the Environmental 4-wheeler of the year and other related awards presented by the association.
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
ghost

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 02:11:07 pm »

This is not official by any means but it is my report of the Annual Conference.
http://www.ufwda.org/smf/index.php?topic=1169.0

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Executive Vice President/Chief Editor, Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
http://www.DeepWoodsExtreme.com
http://www.nea4wd.org
Melissa Simmons
ghost

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 02:33:52 pm »

Hi Steve,

I too will apologize in advance -  Smiley - on behalf of your Board of Directors.  Several members took vacation time after the AGM and have just recently returned home.  As a result, the BOD hasn't had the opportunity yet to talk about the AGM, the outcome, the decisions or put together any "official communication."

As one of the BOD members who wasn't able to attend this years AGM, ( instead I represented the BOD at Camp Jeep in VA ) I too am anxious to hear from my co-BOD members about the meeting, the business we have for the year ahead etc. etc.

I'm certain that once everyone is unpacked and settled in we, the BOD, will have a meeting and get back to business.  On behalf of the Board, I thank you in advance for your patience.

Melissa
9ersgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 03:50:04 pm »

Steve Thank you for your questions.  There is discussion on the convention in the delegates section of the forum.  And as Melissa Said, The BOD will soon have offical result to report, once everyone has returned from vacations.

Amanda
Steve Jackson
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:57:55 pm »

Was it a requirement that award winners had to come from an association that signs up every member to be an individual member of UFWDA?

Steve Jackson
Past President, Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
http://www.u4wda.org
http://www.utahoffroad.com
9ersgirl
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 01:15:13 pm »

Steve,  Not to my knowledge it was not a requirement.  They did have to be UFWDA members either individual or through a member organization.
Steve Jackson
ghost

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 10:31:23 am »

So I just found out that all the "best of" awards were voted on by the members in attendance?  How does result in the choosing the "best" of something rather than just choosing something based on how many members from each group are present.  On the "best newsletter" award, how could all of the attendees have had time to review every publication that was submitted to find the best one?  Is this how it was really determined?

Steve Jackson
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:44:01 am »

So I just found out that all the "best of" awards were voted on by the members in attendance?  How does result in the choosing the "best" of something rather than just choosing something based on how many members from each group are present.  On the "best newsletter" award, how could all of the attendees have had time to review every publication that was submitted to find the best one?  Is this how it was really determined?

Well Steve I can only speak for the Annual Web Award - it is done by a committee of volunteers (that is generally hard to find) and then the final call is made by the BOD.  More details can be found here.

http://www.ufwda.org/web_awards.htm

- Shawn

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Carla Boucher
UFWDA Executive Director & Legal Counsel
ghost

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 11:07:11 am »

Steve,

Four Wheeler of the Year and Environmental Four Wheeler of the Year are chosen by vote at the annual meeting.   Delegates in attendance at the meeting and past winners of these awards present at the meeting are entitled to vote.  Their votes are based upon nomination applications submitted for each nominee.  The nomination applications are given to the delegates on day 1 and are voted upon after a long recess (such as lunch) or the following day.  The call for nominations for these two awards and for the Jack Edwards award were printed in the 2nd quarter edition of the Voice (published in May 2007). 

The annual web award is done by a committee of volunteer as Shawn indicated.
The newsletter award is done by an internal review within UFWDA.
The Jack Edwards Award is also done by an internal review within UFWDA based either on board nominations or self-nominations by organizations. 

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the annual awards presented by UFWDA.

Thanks
Carla

Carla Boucher, Attorney
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
P.O. Box 15696
Chesapeake, VA  23328
(757) 546-7969
Steve Jackson
ghost

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 11:21:20 am »

Well Steve I can only speak for the Annual Web Award - it is done by a committee of volunteers (that is generally hard to find) and then the final call is made by the BOD.  More details can be found here.

http://www.ufwda.org/web_awards.htm

- Shawn

The committee concept sure seems to be a better way to go.

I'm not trying to say anything negative about GLFWDA and their Boondocker newsletter.  I think it is one of the best ones I've seen.  I think our Compass magazine is better.  Not because I'm from U4WDA, but because I believe it is technically, artistically, and editorially the best 4x4 association publication out there that I have seen.  Again, that's not a knock against GLFWDA.  Congrats to the winners.  It'll be easy for other readers to say that it's just sour grapes on our end, and there's probably not much to be said that would convince you otherwise.  But I see this as just another example of UFWDA's bias towards their hometown and most active associations.  The "action map" showed that UF didn't do anything on the ground in Utah, and the VA4WDA gal who said I should be "embarrassed" for not sending $10,000/year and individual memberships to UFWDA are making it harder to support the idea of what UF could become.

http://www.u4wda.org/thecompass/U4WDA.Compass.20072.pdf

I never heard a call for volunteers to serve on a committee to choose the recipients of any of these awards.  I'd be happy to serve in such a capacity next year.

Steve Jackson
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:51:33 am »

A useful conversation is nice and generally leads to better understanding... there are two points here that I can address from when I was on the board... because I hear them over and over and they make no sense at all:

But I see this as just another example of UFWDA's bias towards their hometown and most active associations.

Well since by the most active I assume you mean largest (since no one is really Active - except perhaps just before convention) associations are not the ones you are thinking of.. they would be in the southern /western & central part of the country - so how would something going to Great Lakes be that?  The Web Award went to Australia.  If they were catering to where their money / activity comes from then why didn't those southern / central / western organiztions win the awards you are referring too?

When I was on the BOD of UFWDA the west coast accused John Stewart and UFWDA of only caring about the east coast.. the east coast organizations accused UFWDA of only caring about CA.  The organizations in the middle of the country claimed that UFWDA only cared about the two coasts.

A group of 10 or 12 people can not do everything for everyone from coast to coast - they have to choose and generally they choose the items that have national impact and when people pick up the phone and ask for help...  Sometimes that things can't be communicated in a way that is make "sense" and "seems" as though it is taking care of everyone.. but they do try.  And constantly they are attacked instead of simply asking questions.

UFWDA does a poor job in PR - in fact they have no PR Director and desperately need one.  And hopefully getting the right person (or persons) to do this job will off set some of this issue.. but this issue isn't new to UFWDA and it really really does need to be addressed.

The "action map" showed that UF didn't do anything on the ground in Utah,

Steve have you contacted UFWDA and ask for help with something (other then the advertisement defending the businesses in Moab a couple of years back which UFWDA did help with)?  Now that would be a discussion worth having with the BOD - although perhaps in private forum first.

As for the Action map:
The work on the map is consistent with people who have called and asked for help.. it shows "STATE SPECIFIC ISSUES".  It doesn't show things like national travel plan and work done at the national level or cover lawsuits - it pertains to specific items where people have called and asked for help.

Let's talk about the NPS Lawsuit for example.. the precedence set there if Blue Water wins could eventually set a precedence that might require federal land managers (read National Parks, FS and BLM)  close their doors to ALL Motorized Activity until such time that the travel plans are completed.  How many areas do you think would be reopend?   What will happen to most of the trail in Moab or COLORADO if that was to pass?

Anyway I just wanted to clarify those point.s...

- Shawn
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:58:08 am by Shawn Pagan » Logged

Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President
ghost

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 03:48:47 pm »

Thanks for the follow-up Shawn. Only one error..it was Southern Africa who won the website award, not Australia.
I agree with your comments and if organisations want to be actively involved, then the BOD would be delighted, but we don't have a process  to ensure that everyone gets equal attention, even if that would be an ideal.

Peter

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
dds4x4
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 04:06:44 pm »

GREAT magazine, Steve.  Thanks for the link.
Keep up the good work and we'll be looking for it in next year's entries for consideration.
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 04:44:44 pm »

Only one error..it was Southern Africa who won the website award, not Australia.

Peter you are right.. my mistake.. to be correct the winner was:  Association of All Wheel Drive Clubs of Southern Africa http://www.aawdc.org.za

Steve Edmunds
Utah Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

President - Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 11:01:40 pm »

GREAT magazine, Steve.  Thanks for the link.
Keep up the good work and we'll be looking for it in next year's entries for consideration.

It was submitted in THIS years entries for consideration...   whether it was considered might be a better question (especially after reading this post)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Official Results of the Annual Meeting??? « previous next »
Jump to: