UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:30:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,046 Posts in 3,252 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Need help with a cause. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help with a cause.  (Read 2562 times)
Anthony
ghost

« on: October 06, 2006, 10:31:06 pm »

Hello there.   I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.

Plain and Simple:  West Virginia needs a designated OHV Area for full-size vehicles.  Currently, the main public-use trail system is geared totally towards ATV use.  The management group that handles the trails were looking into starting an area for full-size use and even got seed money ($50,000) from the county for mapping / research.   That was almost two years ago.  Only thing I see is a new website for their management group and more trails opening up for ATV use only.

So. ..that leads me to where I'm standing today.  Kinda ticked and disenfranchised.   Being a seasoned web developer, I started a site called www.ohv4wv.org which is a non-profit site to aid officials / law-makers in seeing the desperate need for such an area in WV for full-size vehicles. 

If anyone is familiar with the state's terrain, I'm sure you can agree that it is perfect for our sport.  From the deep-wooded trails, rocky hill-side terrain, as well as open field exploring,  West Virginia is just an OHV paradise waiting to become of age.

What I am asking is if anyone knows of some different ways that I can attract attention to this need which will help promote the cause and get it infront of the right people to make this ball start to roll.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
admin@ohv4wv.org
www.ohv4wv.org
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 09:45:57 pm »

Have you checked with the VIrginia Four Wheel Drive Association?  http://www.va4wda.org/

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Anthony
ghost

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 09:24:44 am »

I'm not sure what assistance a Virginia based org can be to a West Virginia need. 
But I appreciate the post none-the-less.
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 02:51:09 pm »

Oh sorry.. I'm midwest / west coast so all I heard was Virginia and jumped.  However, having said that the Virginia Association is strong and may be able to help you in West Virginia at least to get started and what direction to go in to get additional support. 

If you have specific question about what can get done then I would also suggest you check here and contact Carla Boucher and / or John Stewart for some direct questions as they should be able to lead you to things like the Recreational Trails program which should be available in your state to fund trails and trail areas.  I know that a few years back West Virginia had over $700,000  to build and maintain trails thru the RTP program.

- Shawn

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 02:53:02 pm by Shawn Pagan » Logged

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Anthony
ghost

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 05:33:00 pm »

Yeah.  I've been reading up on the RTP and how it can help.   Members of the club I'm a member of have met with county officials a few times to discuss these plans and at the time seemed interested in exploring the options. . . and there is great support coming from full-size OHV owners in the state.  So I guess it just about getting all the ducks in a row and approaching the right people with a fail-safe plan of action. 

Again Shawn, thanks so much for the heads up. 
kf6zpl
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:32:12 pm »

Anthony:

Don't overlook the Virginia assocation just because it is not "West" Virginia.

Carla Boucher, legal counsel for UFWDA, is a member of the Virginia association.

Now, it appears as you have taken the first steps:  get organized.

As for opening areas/trails for full-sized, one thing necessary is to develop a plan that inlcudes specific areas/trails that you would like to have open to 4x4.  That plan needs to look at various aspects which include items such as:

-- land ownership (inlcuding neighboring property owners)
-- type of trail riding experience desired
-- staging/camping areas needed
-- projected number of participants

This is the preliminary information necessary to begin the process of moving forward.  In short, it will require that the local potential users become a vocal force to move the process along.

UFWDA does have some infomration available to help with organizing groups and dealing with local officials.  Also, we can assist with overall publicity.

First, we need a plan to determine the next step....

Please feel free to respond to me directly and we can get the process moving.
Anthony
ghost

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:57:38 pm »

wow. . .that's awesome.  Overall, its overwhelming to think how best to approach this.  But a 1000 mile journey starts with the first step. And I think your advice is probably the best I've heard so far.   I'd like to maybe chat with Carla before we start setting up meetings with local, county, state officials.   My hunch is that Carla could provide insight on hot spots to touch on in the meetings and point out the right things to say.

Thanks again John for your help. 
Chris Boucher
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:26:59 am »

I'm not sure what assistance a Virginia based org can be to a West Virginia need.
But I appreciate the post none-the-less.

Oh, the VA4WDA can help. Our Association was in on the planning/promoting of the so-called multiple use trail system I believe you are referring to, and we got left out. We will gladly help promote a place for 4x4s in WV. Just let me know what we can do to help.
Chris

BTW, There is a conference heading to WV you may want to attend, Let me get the info for you.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:41:52 am by Chris Boucher » Logged
Anthony
ghost

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 12:05:54 pm »

yeah Chris. . .let me know when / where and I'll bring a nice delegation from our Club.  I've also contacted the other club in the state to start recruiting support and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. 

Thanks again guys for the assistance.   

Chris Boucher
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 09:25:59 am »

Here you go Anthony:

March 21-22, 2007 National OHV Program Managers Workshop

Charleston, WV
Annual training program on off-highway vehicle recreation management, state issues, and trail planning, with financial support from FHWA's Recreational Trails Program
Info: Bob Walker (Montana) at 406-444-4585

March 22-25, 2007 National Off Highway Vehicle Conservation Council Annual Conference

Charleston, WV
Featuring the Hatfield-McCoy Trail System. Organized by the National Off Highway Vehicle Conservation Council with financial support from FHWA's Recreational Trails Program
Info: Ann Vance at 800-348-6487, or go to www.nohvcc.org
Anthony
ghost

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 12:14:33 am »

wow . . .Chris.  Thanks for the info.

We'll definately be in attendance.

Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 09:22:00 am »

March 21-22, 2007 National OHV Program Managers Workshop

Charleston, WV
Annual training program on off-highway vehicle recreation management, state issues, and trail planning, with financial support from FHWA's Recreational Trails Program
Info: Bob Walker (Montana) at 406-444-4585

March 22-25, 2007 National Off Highway Vehicle Conservation Council Annual Conference

Charleston, WV
Featuring the Hatfield-McCoy Trail System. Organized by the National Off Highway Vehicle Conservation Council with financial support from FHWA's Recreational Trails Program
Info: Ann Vance at 800-348-6487, or go to www.nohvcc.org

Chris, Will you and /or Carla be attending these events ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Chris Boucher
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 06:48:16 am »

We are looking into attending these meetings. 

We called to find out what fullsize four wheel drive wheeling opportunities existed during the event. Wink  I guess we won't be bringing the CJ if we go. Sad
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 04:35:16 pm »

Yeah, that's why I asked.  It's a good group with similar interests, but they are motorcycle and ATV oriented.  The Hatfield McCoy trails are not open to us.   Undecided

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Anthony
ghost

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 09:28:42 pm »

Chris. . .

If you would like the opportunity to do some trail-riding while in West Virginia, please let me know. 

There are areas around the Charleston area that make for quick trips.

Another member of our group has been trying to get in contact with some local officials to open up communications and so far I haven't heard if they have made the connection yet.  However, we're still hopeful in our push for awareness.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Need help with a cause. « previous next »
Jump to: