UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 04:08:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
13,952 Posts in 3,173 Topics by 970 Members
Latest Member: Mactron
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: National Public Lands Day 2007 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: National Public Lands Day 2007  (Read 1071 times)
Steve Jackson
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association

« on: September 30, 2007, 10:33:53 pm »

Yesterday was National Public Lands Day.

U4WDA and its member clubs worked at 14 sites across Utah. Estimated number of volunteers was about 390, although we're still waiting for the official numbers.

We held a group project in American Fork Canyon just south of Salt Lake City. Clubs involved included Utahoffroad.com, Utah4x4Club.com, Wasatch Cruisers, Lone Peak 4 Wheelers, Zuktah, and Utah Xterra Owners Club. Additionally, we had many individual members, and a group from Teraflex came out to help. In total, we had 97 volunteers.

Activities included:
*Trash removal from over 100 dispersed sites
*4 fences totaling 120 feet to close illegal, user-created routes
*Posts and signs installed on a washed out section of trail dangerous for 4x4 vehicles (several rigs have rolled off the hill at this spot over the last few years)
*Utah4x4Club.com installed two information kiosks as part of their adopt-a-road project on the Forest Lake road

We started at 9:00 AM, and finished at 2:00 PM. We finished only minutes before the snow started falling.

Big thanks to Teraflex, Teraflex Plus, Six States Distributors, and Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts for sponsoring free t-shirts again this year.

Some of the group:

Building fence:

Drilling is fun:

Some of the fence crew:

One pile of trash collected:

We are trying to fill the "management gap" at American Fork Canyon for the Forest Service as their resource limitations make it nearly impossible for them to properly manage the OHV activity in the canyon. We can either sit by and then complain when the area is closed, or we can be proactive on helping with management issues before they result in closures.  I've been encouraged to see so many groups responding to the RDP and travel plan revisions.  I wish more groups would be involved on the front-end to avoid the closures through education, peer enforcement, and volunteer projects.

Preventing problems before they require closure is the best thing we can do to maintain our access.

What did other 4x4 groups do for NPLD? I'm anxious to hear how other projects went.

Steve Jackson
Past President, Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
http://www.u4wda.org
http://www.utahoffroad.com
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:28:41 am »

Great stuff Steve, can I use your photos etc for UFWDA e-News?

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:19:33 am »

Congratulations on the turn out and work done.

To be honest, I had no idea there was a "National Public Lands Day".

The Southern 4WD Association has a large Clean Up along the Tellico River and within the Upper Tellico OHV trail system each year.

The 8th annual Tellico River Cleanup was held on March 10th, 2007. This year 212 people participated from several states, including Colorado, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. 213 bags of trash were picked up on the Tennessee side of the cleanup and 2400 lbs on the North Carolina side.

And, of course, we have various Clubs working with the Forest Service on their Adopt-A-Trail program throughout the year. We've adopted all of the trails within the Tellico, Uhwarrie, and Beasley Knob trail systems.

Like you, we hope others are doing their part.  BTW, nice job of documenting the work performed.  It's easy to get involved in the work and not get the photos and statistics. 

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Steve Edmunds
Utah Four Wheel Drive Association

President - Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:11:12 am »

Great stuff Steve, can I use your photos etc for UFWDA e-News?

Yes - and if you wish to have high-resolution images, let me know. 

We should have more photos of our other projects in the state, these photos were just from the project in American Fork Canyon.

Melissa Simmons

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:24:05 am »

WOW, pretty impressive indeed.  Steve, thanks for sharing and for the pics.  It would be great to have a write up for our Q1 2008 Voice (deadline for Q4 2007 has passed), in addition to Peter's request for e-News.  Might you be willing?

Melissa
Chris Boucher
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 08:53:44 am »

Congrats on the great turnout!  The VA4WDA did not have a specific Public Lands Day event this year, but I do know that 80% of the member clubs of the Association have Adopt-A-Trails in the Gerorge Washington National Forest that they clean up/do repairs on at least twice a year.  I do have a question, will those fences remain in place and not be damaged by uncaring folks?  My home club's particular trail, Second Mountain, has some wildlife ponds that some users (both 4x4s and ATVs) move the large rocks and boulders so they can drive through the ponds.  We have discussed fencing, but figured the wood fencing wouldn't hold up too well against these fools who are determined to get off the trail.
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 08:57:27 am »

Yesterday was National Public Lands Day.

U4WDA and its member clubs worked at 14 sites across Utah. Estimated number of volunteers was about 390, although we're still waiting for the official numbers.

Nice Job U4WDA!

I do have a question, will those fences remain in place and not be damaged by uncaring folks?  My home club's particular trail, Second Mountain, has some wildlife ponds that some users (both 4x4s and ATVs) move the large rocks and boulders so they can drive through the ponds.  We have discussed fencing, but figured the wood fencing wouldn't hold up too well against these fools who are determined to get off the trail.

Chris, here in CO we use both buck & rail (wood fence) and post & cable to keep areas like that secure.. for the most part people seem to respect it.  We do on occasion have to fix / replace it.  We have more trouble with gates then we do with demarcation fencing.

- Shawn

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Todd Ockert

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 11:39:08 am »

Very nice indeed to all involved.

Please take the time to maybe send a letter to the local paper about the involvement with trails, and public lands day.

outstanding work.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Todd Ockert

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 08:12:40 am »

Steve

Thanks for the additional info. 
All of this is great, and we need to keep it all rolling for our benefit.

I know there was a work project on the Rubicon trail, Tahoe side for NPLD also.  I think this project was put off for a couple of weeks, just so they could do it this weekend also.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Steve Jackson
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 02:59:20 pm »

Yes, I saw that report on Pirate4x4.  As far as I know, that's the only other NPLD project I've seen.  I'm sure there were others, but I just haven't heard about them.

Steve Jackson
Past President, Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
http://www.u4wda.org
http://www.utahoffroad.com
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 03:20:48 pm »

UFWDA did set up a similar project a few years back as an international Adopt a Road Day, for the first Saturday in Oct each year. It's been hard to get awareness  of that too as a clean-up exercise, so maybe the two could be merged to get a bigger bang?

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:11:34 am »

Folks I moved the bulk of the fence discussion and other comments to http://www.ufwda.org/smf/index.php?topic=1524.0 that way this topic can stay on topic - the work U4WDA did and any other NPLD work that was done. 

Thanks,

Shawn

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: National Public Lands Day 2007 « previous next »
Jump to: