Richmond BBQ Legend to Judge 2009 Virginia Wheel-In Best Trail Chef Contest
Date: January 28, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT GERALDINE GRADY – 804-381-1153
Trail chefs get ready. Buz Grossberg of Buz and Ned’s Real Barbecue of Richmond, Virginia is coming out to Oak Ridge on Thursday, March 12 to help decide the Best Trail Chef of 2009.
For over 20 years, Buz has been perfecting his version of real barbecue. Cooking BBQ in Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Kansas City, Lexington and Memphis, he learned the BBQ secrets of many of the country’s famous BBQ regions. It was during this time that Buz met Ned. Using recipes that had been handed down for over 150 years, Ned was producing the best BBQ that Buz ever tasted. Before he gave up the ghost, Ned passed his secrets onto Buz, who’s been keeping this BBQ tradition alive since 1992.
In 2007, Buz appeared in Food Network’s Throwdown! with Bobby Flay and beat the critically acclaimed chef, restaurateur, award winning cookbook author and television personality.
As a reminder, the contest will be open to everyone registered for the Wheel-In that wants to participate. You do not have to pre-register but do ask that you email email@example.com
to let us know that you will be participating. The registration will occur Thursday when you check in for the event. Cooking starts at 4:00 p.m. and judging starts at 7:30 p.m.
Trail Chef Rules:
• You must be a registered participant of the Wheel-In event to join the contest.
• You must use only what you can transport in your vehicle. In other words, you may not bring anything that will not fit within your vehicle. If you have to trailer a grill then it cannot be used. You may use a grill if you can transport it in the vehicle.
• You can use any ingredients that you would like to use -- the sky is the limit.
• All cooking must take place on site. You may not prepare anything in advance, unless you have a marinade that could be prepared and then taken on the trail.
• You must have all food prepared by 7:30 p.m. and to the judges table.
The first place winner will receive a trophy, prize and bragging rights. All participants are asked to provide their recipes to include in an upcoming UFWDA trail recipe book, but it’s not required to participate in the contest.