UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 07:21:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,036 Posts in 3,242 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Virginia Wheel-In 2008  |  Topic: Trail Ratings for the Wheel-In « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trail Ratings for the Wheel-In  (Read 4965 times)
Eric Hilbert
ghost

« on: November 26, 2007, 06:52:22 pm »

Does anyone know what the "extreme" trial will be like for the Wheel-In?  At Camp Jeep last year I did Trail A and B.  Our club is interested in coming down for the Wheel-In, and I want to make sure we are on the right trails?  Everyones definition of "extreme" is differnt.
Chris Boucher
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:41:02 pm »

If you did the A and B trails at Oak Ridge for Camp Jeep, then you know those trails were ranked as part of the "difficult" trails for Camp Jeep.  They were designed as 2-3 hour trail rides maximum for Camp Jeep, using stock vehicles with "stock" drivers. 

We plan to run the Oak Ridge Loop for the Wheel-in, which is a combination of all the 17 trails used at Camp Jeep, so your A and B trails are included.  We plan to start everyone at different points on the loop, wheel as much of the loop as you can on Day 1, pick up where you left off on Day 2.  Do not expect Tellico, Rausch Creek, Crozet, Wind Rock, etc.  God did not bless us with such terrain on the eastern slope of the Blue Ridge.  Roll Eyes  Some consider Oak Ridge on par with Uwharrie.  There is plenty of bark at Oak Ridge, and plenty to bite you there as well.  Wink

If you've not visited any of the places mentioned above, PM me and I'll do my best to describe Oak Ridge.
Does this help at all?
Eric Hilbert
ghost

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:58:27 pm »

Thanks for the reply!  This helps!  The only reason I brought it up was on the registration there's a spot for easy,hard...extreme trail choice.  We all want to be on the same trail as a club.
Chris Boucher
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:43:03 pm »

I saw that on the registration form too.  I'm sure we'll do our best to accomodate you all in a group.
Matt Coffey
ghost

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:16:27 am »

Yes Chris the trees at Oak Ridge do bite back don't they lol
[img][/img]

[/img]

But that was a great spotter  Grin

Matt Coffey
S.V.4.W.
05 LJ
Chris Boucher
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 09:21:23 am »

But that was a great spotter  Grin

I'm guessing you'll never let me foget, huh? Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
BEN WOOD
ghost

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:04:59 pm »

Your suppose to keep all four wheels on the ground Smiley A little fiber glass is all it needs Smiley Thanks for the loaner winch.

Heres a shot of the Membership Director making Bobs Creek look easy during the 07 Jamboree
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 02:44:33 pm by BEN WOOD » Logged

1990 Red YJ on Trxus
Tidewater Fourwheelers
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 12:33:12 pm »

I'm guessing you'll never let me foget, huh? Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Chris just remember "...the spotter is always right, the driver just wasn't listening".  Take it from a professional.

- Shawn

Notes: Definition of professional "I tried it once and lost money... but still had to pay taxes to do it."

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Matt Coffey
ghost

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 09:55:48 am »

Chris I have already forgotten about it just trying to show how those trees bite back at Oak Ridge  Grin
 and Yes the spotter is always right .... it is the driver who needs to learn the spotters right and left not the drivers  Cheesy  Grin

Matt Coffey
S.V.4.W.
05 LJ
Eric Kohl
ghost

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:51:50 pm »

Talking with someone about this and it go me to thinking.  When I signed up, I was planning on bringing my not-so-stock Scrambler, which while road friendly isn't something I would necessarily drive the 450 miles each way so it gets trailered.  Then I got to thinking that I could just drive my Grand Cherokee up and probably have more fun since it is stock except for the 2" BB and winch, thus making just about everything a challange.   Grin

While I remember most of the trails as doable with the Grand, seems like I remember some sections that would be a bit much for the Grand.  Plus, I haven't yet made all of the trails.  Am I being crazy for even considering the Grand?

Now, if it's wet and rainy, it'll be the Scrambler without hesitation.

1982 Jeep Scrambler SOA, SRS, Waggy 44s detroited, 35" MTRs, Warn 9000, Auto, 4.10s
2002 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L, 2" BB, custom winch mount in progress
Chris Boucher
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 02:02:07 pm »

I think the Grand will do more than you think (all but the largest rock obstacles) and I agree you would have more fun in it.  Plus it will be a way to show off your superior driving abilities.  As for the wet weather, I've seen stockers stay on the trail while the double lockered vehicles slide sideways into the brush.  I vote for having fun in the Grand.
BEN WOOD
ghost

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 02:43:45 pm »

Im in the same predicament, wheel a stock no frills 1968 CJ-5 with 31x10.5 Goodyear GSAs  and tow hooks or if the trails will be a little nasty, a YJ with 33x12.5 trxus and a winch. HMMMMM Smiley

1990 Red YJ on Trxus
Tidewater Fourwheelers
Jerry Bliley
ghost

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 03:26:11 pm »

I guided CJ last year some in my WJ, outfited pretty much like yours liftwise.  It did fine.  I even took my stock comanche out on a work weekend last year with no worrys.  I vote for the Grand.  Show the rest of them how it is all skill that gets you down the trail, not the size of your checkbook or rig.

88 MJ Just back on the road
98 TJ Black Beauty
99 WJ Family Ride
dds4x4
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 05:23:35 pm »

Wheel the WJ, they do just FINE!
Eric Kohl
ghost

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 06:28:18 pm »

I'm pretty confident on what the WJ will be able to do since my first wheelin jeep was a ZJ on 3.5" lift and 31s.  The WJ with the BB has almost the same ground clearance, just no armor.   Haven't actually wheeled it yet, but have played on a few hills.  Guess I'll just wait and let my mood swing decide which one I bring, that or my wife can choose if she comes with me.

1982 Jeep Scrambler SOA, SRS, Waggy 44s detroited, 35" MTRs, Warn 9000, Auto, 4.10s
2002 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L, 2" BB, custom winch mount in progress
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Virginia Wheel-In 2008  |  Topic: Trail Ratings for the Wheel-In « previous next »
Jump to: