UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 03:35:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,012 Posts in 3,223 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: trail design help « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: trail design help  (Read 964 times)
Gregg Jackson
ghost

« on: September 14, 2007, 07:05:53 am »

I am not sure where or who to go to with this. I am the land use coordinator for the VA4WDA. I have been working with the GWNf in our area for a couple of years now trying to form a relationship with them. We have finally got the oportunity to take a trail that is considered and ATV/OHV trail and really design a good quality OHV trail out of it. The reason that they have agreed to this is the fact that the wat it is now, there are no real obsticals on it, so therefor people are making there own in areas not designated for it. So my pitch to them was to let us put some obsticals in the trail to limit the amount of illegal damage.
If anyone has some helpful info on designing this trail, we would love to see it. This is the first project like this we have been given and we want it done right so we might have more in the future.

My contact info,
Gregg Jackson
804-928-5537 cell
landuse@va4wda.org
gajackson@comcast.net
Melissa Simmons
ghost

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:40:40 am »

Gregg,

Did you get your last copy of the Voice (3rd Quarter)?  There is an _awesome_ article in there from the guys up in Montana about JUST this subject--including some step by step how to's and what not to do's.  I am on the run at the moment, so don't have the copy with contact info in front of me.  I'm hoping someone who has the issue in their hand can put up those details for you.

Please keep us posted on this topic.

Melissa
Gene Ockert
UFWDA Vice President
ghost

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:40:48 am »

The story was from Rob St. Clair, from the Mission Valley Skyliners Club. Rob would be the person to contact. I'm sure he would love to give you all the info. He is the Past President of UFWDA, his email: pastpresident@ufwda.org.

Gene

member of UFWDA, Nevadabackroaders, BRC
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 10:17:34 am »

Without looking at the trail, or knowing the terain, I am not sure.

But if you can get some rocks and trees as obstacle, that would help to increase the difficulty level.
The more natural they are, obviously, the better.

I am not an expert at this by any means, but I think with a meeting of the minds, we can figure out what would be good. for everyone on this trail.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Gregg Jackson
ghost

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 10:56:34 am »

Thanks for the info. I will contact Rob right now.

The obsticals arent really the issues. Its more errosion control, barrakading off sensative area's, as well as management issues, and how to control misuse. I want to address as much as possible in my proposal.

Rob St. Clair
UFWDA Past President
ghost

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:18:31 am »

Greg, I have replied to your e-mail, sorry for not getting to this sooner, I have been so buisy at work I have not been able to visit this forum. I will try to call you this evening.
Rob St. Clair
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 10:50:08 am »

Gregg

I am sure the obsticles can also work as errosion control at the same time.

Logs and rocks also work as barracades, other then some people see them as obsticles also.

If you look at the 3rd quarter voice, and my article on the rubicon work weekend.
We built two fences so it was obvious the area behind the fence was off limits.
They were of the "A" frame style fences and made of logs that we pulled out of the woods that had all ready fallen.
Not that we propose putting up fences, but nothing else had worked in the area.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Dan Stepnik
ghost

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 01:55:04 pm »

Our club is also now looking into obtaining private lands to use. It is sounding like others in our area are also pursuing this route rather than deal with all the politics of public use. Is it possible to get a copy of the article? Would this be something that UFWDA and maybe Tread Lightly could develop into a training program?

Dan Stepnik
NEA Delegate for Cape Cod Jeep Club
danstep@capecodjeepclub.org

Cape Cod Jeep Club  Delegate
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: trail design help « previous next »
Jump to: