UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 10:11:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,046 Posts in 3,252 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Land Use Article I wrote up... « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Land Use Article I wrote up...  (Read 597 times)
Scott Heiser
ghost

« on: December 19, 2007, 06:22:53 pm »

I got SICK of seeing what was going on at my local trails.  I live up in the San Bernardino Mountains (big bear area) and these local trails are just getting THRASHED by people that think they can go where ever they want.  Todd asked me to post this here, so I thought I would.  Its also posted on my website at www.heiseroil.com under "land Use".  If anyone would like anything land use related published on my website, shoot me at email at scott@heiseroil.com and I will gladly put it up.

Thanks!
 Scott

“Off Roading, What’s That?"

Read the title of this article. Now, read it again. This is what our children are going to be saying to us if we keep doing things at the pace we are going. I live in a great area, with plenty of trails in just my backyard to go wheeling on. It saddens me to see what has been done to these trails, and what I see other people doing while “four wheeling”. I have the pleasure of having some fun trails, lined with rocks and trees, and GREAT scenery all within about 10 minutes of me. The problem is, all the “locals” decide that they should tear the entire area up, crawling up trees to take pictures of their rigs flexing, and running over the dead trees, that are a good fifty feet off the trail. Most, if not ALL of these people also feel that it is necessary to drink WHILE wheeling, and then proceed to throw the empty cans out of their rigs, into the forest. While I know that this is not the case for everyone, I have seen it countless times, in countless locations. With actions like this, it won’t be long before this hobby of ours will become extinct. It’s pretty sad, that this day in age, it seems that people can’t go out into the wooded trails, or the desert and have a good time without a beer in hand. If we want to continue to see the hobby of four wheeling grow, and want it to be around for our kids to enjoy, we really need to crack down on those that trash our trails, and get drunk and tear things up while “four wheeling”. I know many of you have seen this countless times. I can’t be the only one. There isn’t much we can do to STOP these activities, but we can sure voice our opinions to A LOT of different organizations, and if you see someone drinking excessively and wheeling, say something to them. Sure, you may not be the “popular” guy, but I for one would rather be unpopular now, and save the trails for my future children, instead of seeing all the trails closed off to the public, so my kids can’t enjoy what I love to do. My hope is that one day I will be able to help a son of mine build a rig of his own to wheel out here in our national forest, but the way things are going, its not looking like that is going to happen. I see more and more trails get shut down to public use every year. It is usually for a variety of reasons, not all of them related to belligerent four wheelers, but we can sure help the cause by straightening up our act. Below, you will find a few organizations to support. Your donations will support their fight to keep our trails open, so that our children and grand children can enjoy the trails for years to come.

http://www.blueribbon.org/ -Blue Ribbon Coalition
http://www.ufwda.org/ -United four wheel drive assoction
http://www.fopv.org/ - Friends of Panamint Valley

So, in conclusion, please support these organizations. They are some of the MANY that continually fight, not only to stop people from driving drunk on the trails, and trashing our land, but also to keep these trails open for all to enjoy.

Scott D. Heiser

My Amsoil Website

Support Land Use, while we still have land to Use!
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:00:38 pm »

Scott

Very nice, and thanks for sharing with us.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:52:55 pm »

And, I thought that was only happening with our rednecks around here.  Angry

Sorry to hear it's become common elsewhere.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 07:48:30 am by Dave Logan » Logged

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Scott Heiser
ghost

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:50:05 pm »

Sadly, one area is not the only place its happening.  Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy a beer or 12 when I'm camping, but ONLY when I am back at camp for the night, and I am not going ANYWHERE.
Glad you guys felt it was well written.
Scott

My Amsoil Website

Support Land Use, while we still have land to Use!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Land Use Article I wrote up... « previous next »
Jump to: