UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 01:16:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,012 Posts in 3,223 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: The Age Old Question? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Age Old Question?  (Read 1997 times)
Todd Ockert
ghost

« on: December 18, 2007, 05:31:24 pm »

I took this out of the other thread that it was in, and put here for more conversation.

This has generated a lot of discussion over on the pirate4x4 forum.
This came from Steve Jackson in this thread: http://www.ufwda.org/smf/index.php?topic=1641.0
Thanks Steve

Todd

Ah yes, the age old question.  Unfortunately, this age old question is what's killing us.  Instead of thinking "what's in it for me" our community needs to think "what's in it for all of us."  When someone writes a check to the Sierra Club, they aren't consciously thinking "what's in it for me."  Sub consciously, they have the benefit of the good feeling that comes from "saving the environment" (their marketing is far better than ours), but they aren't asking "what do I get?" when they see a solicitation.

If every wheeler stopped saying, "what's in it for me" and started saying "together we can win" we would face a much less dismal outlook.  "Think of the whole, not yourself" is the mantra I'd like to promote.

I'm not giving you a hard time, rather this thread made me think of this so I typed it.

I'm sick of every wheeler who has a $20K rig, a $5K trailer, and $50K tow rig, but they can't give $100/year for land use causes.  It's pathetic, and it's why we'll be left with private parks and a few scattered trails within 20 years unless we change our way of thinking.  Keep thinking it won't happen.  4000 miles of open routes are being closed in Moab this summer as a result of the new RMP.  We went from 1.5 million acres of open cross-country travel to 6000 miles of routes and now to 2200 miles of routes.  What do you think will happen with the next RMP in 15 years?

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
ghost

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:25:33 pm »

This is good. Makes you think.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Executive Vice President/Chief Editor, Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
http://www.DeepWoodsExtreme.com
http://www.nea4wd.org
Scott Heiser
ghost

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:56:52 pm »

Not only does it make you think, I know for one, it made me REALIZE, that as much as I love this sport and hobby of wheeling, I am not doing NEARLY enough to protect it.  Thank you!
I have now sent an email regarding a business membership.
Scott

My Amsoil Website

Support Land Use, while we still have land to Use!
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 05:59:44 pm »

Scott

Thanks for your support of UFWDA and your business support.
I know Marti, our Business Development Manager will take care of you.

Thanks for coming over here.

I am also checking to see if we have any room in the Voice for the upcoming Q1 - 2008 for your article.
It is very good.  I would also like to see it get posted here if you do not mind.

Thanks

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Scott Heiser
ghost

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 06:02:02 pm »

Todd, I will gladly do a copy/paste of the article, if you just tell me where to put it.  If you want to copy/paste, feel free... Smiley
Scott

My Amsoil Website

Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

Scott

You can create a new topic thread for it.  I would rather it be under your name, and you get all the credit for it, as you wrote it.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Scott Heiser
ghost

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 06:15:09 pm »

Cool Todd, I will do that Smiley
Scott

My Amsoil Website

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: The Age Old Question? « previous next »
Jump to: