UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 09:00:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,011 Posts in 3,222 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Midwest  |  Topic: land access issues in Ky area? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: land access issues in Ky area?  (Read 437 times)
Todd Ockert
ghost

« on: January 23, 2008, 10:06:25 pm »

Got this from a friend on our MySpace page.

Anyone have more info on this?

Todd

HI. MY NAMES JON, IM FROM CRITTENDEN KY.
THERE ARNT TOO MANY PUBLIC PLACES TO RIDE IN OUR STATE. BUT THE FEW THAT ARE OPEN ARE SEVERLY IN DANGER OF CLOSURE. ONE PRIME EXAMPLE IS LIVINGSTON. IM NOT IF YOUR AWARE OF LIVINGSTON AND THE EVENTS THAT HAVE COME ABOUT IT. BUT TO SUM IT UP, ITS A STRECH OF LAND OWNED BY THE FORESTRY DEPARTMENT THAT USED TO BE OPEN TO ANYTHING 4 WHEEL DRIVE.
THERE WHERE MILES UPON MILES OF TRIALS. BUT DUE TO SOME ISSUES WITH THE LOCALS AND THE ENVIROMENTALIST, IT WAS CLOSED. HOWEVER IT HAS PARTIALLY REOPENED HERE WITHIN THE PAST YEAR OR SO, BUT ONLY TO LISCENSED VEHICLES AND ON CERTIAN TRAILS, AND EVEN THIS IS NOT 100% GARENTEED TO REMAIN.
ANOTHER AREA OF THE STATE WELL KNOWN FOR 4 WHEELING IS THE NATURAL BRIDGE AREA, LOCATED NEAR SLADE KY. THIS AREA HAS SERVED USE TO ALL TYPES OF OUTDOOR ENTUSIESTS.
THERE IS THE NATURAL BRIDGE STATE PARK, WHICH OPENED BACK IN THE 1890'S, AND THE SURROUNDING MOUTIANISH REGION WHICH HAS DRAWN OFF ROAD LOVERS FOR DECADEDS. WHILE THERE IS NO OFF ROADING ALLOWED IN THE PARK, THE PARK OFFICALS SEEM TO HAVE AN UNBELIVABLE AMOUNT OF SAY IN WHAT HAPPENS TO THE TRAILS, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE OUTLYING TRAILS AND ROADS ARE NOT PART OF THEIR COVERAGE. AND HERE WITHIN THE PAST YEAR THERE HAVE BEEN ALOT OF CHANGES GOIN ON IN THIS AREA, BOTH THE PARK AND THE TRAIL/ROAD SYSTEM.
ONE OF THE BIGGEST CHANGES HAS BEEN THE CLOSING OF "THE NARROWS". THE NARROWS WAS A TRAIL THAT DREW THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE YEARLY, AND NOT ONLY 4X4'S BUT HIKERS, MOUTIAN BIKERS, AND HORSE BACK RIDES TOO.
IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE TRAIL OF SANDSTONE BASED SOIL THAT FEATURED MANY CHANGES IN TERRAIN AND SCENRY.
ONE OF THE BIGGEST AND MOST FAMOUS PARTS OF THIS TRAIL IS THE WHITES BRANCH ARCH.
ITS AN ACTUAL NATURAL BRIDGE ARCH THAT IS WIDE ENOUGH TO ACCOMIDATE TWO VEHICLES AND ROUGHLY 150FT OR SO IN LENGHT. IT HAS BREATH TAKING VIEWS FROM BOTH SIDES, AND FOR THOSE UP FOR A BIT OF A CLIMB THERES A PATH THAT LEADS YOU DOWN UNDER IT! SIMPLY AMAZING IS ABOUT THE ONLY WAY TO DESCRIBE IT. BUT FOR SOME REASON THEY HAVE FELT THE NEED TO CLOSE IT OFF.
NOW WHAT GETS ME IS THE FACT THAT ITS ACTUALLY A COUNTY ROAD. HOW CAN THEY JUST UP AND CLOSE A ROAD? AND WHEN THEY BLOCKED IT OFF THEY JUST DIDNT THROW UP A GATE OR A SIGN, BUT RATHER THEY SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN BUILDING THESE TANKTRAP TYPE BARRIERS.
THESE CONSIST OF HUGE HOLES 6-8 FEET IN DEPTH AND NEARLY 12FT WIDE, WITH HUGE BOULDERS OR GAURD RAILS ON ONE SIDE AND HUGE DIRT MOUNDS ON THE OTHER.
THESE ARE SO UNSIGHTLY ITS REDICULOUS. NEVER HAVE I SEEN OR HEARD OF A FORESTRY DIVISION GOIN TO SUCH GREAT EXTREME TO KEEP PEOPLE OUT OF AN AREA. SO TO SUM ALL THIS UP, A GROUP OF FELLOW OUTDOOR LOVERS AS WELL AS MYSELF ARE TRYIN TO BRING THIS TO THE PUBLICS EYE.
I KNOW THERES A MEETING COMING UP TO HELP SAVE THE TELLICO TRAILS. AND IDE LIKE FOR YOU TO HELP US SPREAD THE WORD OF MY STATES COURUPT IDEA OF DESCISION MAKING.
WE HAVE NOT OFFICALLY HAD A GROUP MEETING YET, BUT IDE LIKE YOUR INPUT ON HOW WE COULD BRING THIS TO PEOPLES ATTENTION.
ALSO ATTACHED ARE TWO VIDOES THAT WERE RECENTLY CREATED TO SHOW PEOPLE WHAT CHANGES ARE UNDERWAY FOR THE STATE PARK ITSELF.
PLEASE VIEW THEM AND FEEL FREE TO USE THEM TO HELP SPREAD THE WORD.
I HOPE YOUVE FOUND ALL THIS INFORMATABLE AND CAN HELP US SPREAD THE WORD OF WHATS HAPPENING IN MY STATE.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
JON ROLAND

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Midwest  |  Topic: land access issues in Ky area? « previous next »
Jump to: