UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 11:19:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,027 Posts in 3,237 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Emergency Contact cards « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Emergency Contact cards  (Read 1801 times)
Todd Ockert
ghost

« on: September 05, 2007, 04:18:52 pm »

All

I am not sure if you have ever had a medical emergency while out on the trail, but it can make for a scary situation real quick for all involved.  Especially if the individual having the condition is not able to talk because of their injuries.

Our local club requires us all to care emergency contact cards in our vehicle with contact information, and emergency medical info, like what we are allergic to, and what meds we are on.

Attached is the word doc I use to print these out for our club, and they can fill it on, or update it as neccessary.

There is a story as to why our club adopted these cards, but it was prior to my time with the club. 

But I think they are a good idea, and can help when needed.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Gene Ockert
UFWDA Vice President
ghost

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:15:54 pm »

Todd,

That is a good idea. It would work great for a lot of people and clubs. There are times that it could save more than one life.

gene

member of UFWDA, Nevadabackroaders, BRC
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
ghost

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:38:55 pm »

What a great idea. Thank you for passing this along.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Executive Vice President/Chief Editor, Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
http://www.DeepWoodsExtreme.com
http://www.nea4wd.org
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:20:10 am »

Now that I have some time to explain why our club started these is here below.

It was about 4 years ago, our club was out on a run and came across a group where one of the other members had rolled his vehicle.
He was hurt pretty bad, but not fully life threating at that time.
They got him out of the vehicle, but he then went into shock and passed out.
The ambulance arrived to transport him, and no one in his club knew of any medical issues or allergies with this gentleman.

They administered some drugs on the way to the hospital, and he was allergic to them.

The sad part is the gentleman died shortly after arriving at the hospital from from the complications of the drugs administered, and injuries associatied with the roll-over.

He had no Red Alert bracelet for some reason, and if he had, he might still be alive today.

So, our club came up with these cards to put info on, and most of the people in our club carry them in all their vehicles now.

This is a sad story, and took an accident like this to make everyone come up with an idea on how to potentially save their own life, or someone elses. 
So, please take this idea to your clubs, and organizations to possibly help save someones life.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Jay Bird
ghost

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:21:48 am »

My club the Georgia Bounty Runners does something similar.  We make sure they are on Green Paper.  We call the Green sheets and it is one item we inspect for.  All participants must have one.  Green so it can be easily found in the glovew box.

Jay Bird
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
ghost

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:30:31 pm »

Great ideas. Our club asks for this info on our Membership Applications but we have never thought to make something portable with the information.
Sorry you all had to experience a loss.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Executive Vice President/Chief Editor, Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
http://www.DeepWoodsExtreme.com
http://www.nea4wd.org
David Gilmore
ghost

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 11:41:11 pm »

Here's a form that we came up with and require all members to carry in their vehicles on any trail ride.  We developed this with the help of information that is used on the File For Life Program, and various forms that are used to record past medical histories.  We debated about who should have these forms during the actual trail ride and came up with the opinion that it should be maintained in the vehicle that the person is riding in.  None of us really wanted to carry around the private medical histories of others if we didn't need to have them.

David
NREMT-Paramedic

95 YJ, lots of Mods and more to come
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:49:25 am »

David

Very  nice, and thanks for sharing.
We seriously injure individuals every year oout on the trails.  Having some basic information about them in a case where they are not able to talk, is important.

Thanks

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
John Cuoghi
ghost

Teenagers, need I say more

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 08:34:36 pm »

The discussion in our club was HIPA violations.  If they were kept by the Trail Boss, then if they were opened by them it could constitute a violation.  If there is an emergency, there is no violation if the information is turned over to a certified first responder (in a sealed envelope) or higher for pertinent patient information.  The only people that should have access to the information are persons that are directly involved with patient care and patient confidentiality is in effect.

We discussed this between several Career Firefighters and a couple of OMD's and decided that it would be best to have the information available but kept inside the vehicle that the person was riding in.  We also came up with having the information kept inside a bright RED envelope so that it could be located easily in case of an emergency.

In our cub we have several people in the medical field in one form or another.  There is almost always a minimum of a person that is either first aid or EMT.

I would love to see all of our club runs with a minimum of one EMT on the ride.

I am trying to get others that are EMT or higher to display the star of life on the side of their Jeep for quick identification by other clubs in need.  This can be magnetic so that when off the trail it can come off.

Puddle Pirate
LIFE IS SHORT,
EAT, SLEEP, JEEP
Jerry Bliley
ghost

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 01:51:35 pm »

I already have the Star on my rig and it stays on all the time, and I have had the unfortunate experience to need to respond on a trail.  We had an Allergic Bee sting a few years ago and it was very intense for all of us involved.  Being 30-45 minutes from the closest ambulance access point made it very stressful but it all worked out well in the end.  Working to ensure that the information is available is very important.  As for the HIPPA thing if a person gives you the info with the understanding of its use then the trail boss having them is of no concern.  If a person on the ride chooses to not give it to the trail boss and holds it themselves then that is also fine, it just may be difficult to get to it if they have been in a roll-over of something else bad.  No matter what the important item that most people overlook when doing the forms is that the contact person you put down on the forms needs to not be in the vehicle with you, and should have access to the same information listed on the form so the medical staff can discuss care with them if needed.  Just a few added thoughts.

88 MJ Just back on the road
98 TJ Black Beauty
99 WJ Family Ride
Andrew Harvin
ghost

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 09:39:28 am »

One of my clubs places the Emergency Contact info on the back of the Membership cards.
Scott Heiser
ghost

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 10:21:15 am »

Very good stuff Todd, not only would these help on the trail, but would also help in an accident on the road as well.  I am going to print these out, keep one in every vehicle, and one in my wallet, and have my wife keep one in her purse.
Scott

My Amsoil Website

Support Land Use, while we still have land to Use!
David Gilmore
ghost

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 07:42:04 am »

I found this site while looking for motorcycle information. They produce a wallet size card that you print off on your own printer, they recommend keeping it behind your drivers license. I just made one and it comes out really good. The best part is that it is FREE.  I like it even better than the other form that I have posted here, mainly because you would/could have this on you all of the time.

http://www.medids.com/free-id.php

95 YJ, lots of Mods and more to come
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Emergency Contact cards « previous next »
Jump to: