UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 07:52:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,024 Posts in 3,234 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Access (Land Use, RTF, Advocacy, etc)  |  General Land Advocacy  |  Topic: Sierra Club article « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sierra Club article  (Read 680 times)
Todd Ockert
ghost

« on: February 19, 2008, 10:28:13 pm »

Check out the article written for the Sierra Club.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200711/orv.asp

We are called motorheads in the article!  Not been called that in a long time.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Ted Dinwiddie
ghost

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:14:58 am »

As an avid outdoor enthusiast, I read this article and begin to fume. First, I resent the smug atittude of the Sierra Clubber elitists, but mostly I detest the yahoos of the offroad vehicle set that have no respect what so ever for the beauty that surrounds them in the back country. I 4-wheel, I hike, I backpack, I hunt, I fish, I ride a mountain bike, I LOVE recreating away from civilization and I HATE finding beer cans and used toilet paper in otherwise pristine settings. I drive unpaved roads near my home and see huge amounts of trash that has been tossed from passing vehicles. Why is it mostly the packaging and containers from cheap beer and fast food?

What do we, as off-road driving enthusiasts, need to do to eliminate these elements from our ranks? What is it going to take?

ted

1995 FZJ 80, Factory Lockers,  201K and trail rash.

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:24:17 am »

What do we, as off-road driving enthusiasts, need to do to eliminate these elements from our ranks? What is it going to take?

I for one think it will take us, the respectful four wheelers, to step up and call out publically those who are doing the wrong things.  Litter, destruction things that are obviously wrong should be reported as soon as possible and the mgmt agencies they are reported to should be held accountable to enforce fines/sanctions/jail time whatever to the wrongdoers.

My $0.02.

- Shawn

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President
ghost

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 03:43:55 pm »

Looks like a reaction to their own people being identified as trampling Griffiths Park! The best defence is to attack, maybe we could learn something. Unfortunately they have the moral high ground at present but a few more examples of their supporters effects on the countryside could be identified perhaps?

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Access (Land Use, RTF, Advocacy, etc)  |  General Land Advocacy  |  Topic: Sierra Club article « previous next »
Jump to: