UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 12:50:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,035 Posts in 3,241 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Virginia Wheel-In 2008  |  Topic: The Event Was Great! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Event Was Great!  (Read 4959 times)
Kimball S.
ghost

« on: April 13, 2008, 06:25:08 am »

A big thanks goes to United for putting on a great event.  It was well organized and a lot of fun, especially considering the large group that attended.  The venue was awesome...this was my first time to Oak Ridge but definitely won't be my last.

A special thanks goes to Group I and our trail guides.  Galen, Bobby, and Rick did a fantastic job and worked well together as a team.  Our group was large and it took a lot of work to keep it moving.  Thankfully we had little damage, and only on the last part of the last day did we get caught behind other groups.  Also, thanks go to the Toyota FJ Cruiser guys.  Real nice guys with a kick butt product that took on every obstacle that they could reasonably clear.  That and the ice cream sandwiches were good too.

Count myself and my boy in for next year.

1979 712M
Ted Dinwiddie
ghost

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:29:32 pm »

I second Kimball's post.

It was my first time at Oak Ridge and my first time at an organized 4wheeling event. I am truly addicted now.

Thanks to UFWDA for a great event. Thanks to the Hollands for Oak Ridge. Above all, thanks to Galen, Bobbi, and Rick for shepherding all of us through. My son can't stop telling his mom and sisters how much they missed. Bobbi made an impression on him.

All the TLCA folks that didn't make it missed out, big time.

Thanks to all.

ted

1995 FZJ 80, Factory Lockers,  201K and trail rash.

"There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - P.J. O'Rourke
Chris Sine
ghost

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 05:38:27 pm »

Thanks UFWDA for the great event, and a big THANKS to the guides and members of group "D" and for the fun and keeping a level head when I was stuck up to the frame rails in mud and my head was not so level. I have a couple of pics here

And a GREAT BIG THANKS to my buddy JeepinAl who is always there with a winch and a plan.
Peggy Mason
ghost

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 06:10:29 pm »

We'll add our kudos here too - Just got home, tired and dirty but what a great event.  Great job to EVERYONE involved in putting on this event!  Looking forward to the next one!
Crandall
ghost

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:05:22 pm »

Whoohoo we had a great time.  Can't wait until the next!! Grin
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President
ghost

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 08:18:17 pm »

Hi Chris some good photos in your collection. I was a little confused by the date that you've filed them under Roll Eyes The weather appears to have been relatively kind to the event, despite some earlier predictions.
It's good to see interest in future Wheel In events.

Peter

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
Chris Sine
ghost

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 08:22:28 pm »

Hi Chris some good photos in your collection. I was a little confused by the date that you've filed them under Roll Eyes The weather appears to have been relatively kind to the event, despite some earlier predictions.
It's good to see interest in future Wheel In events.

Peter

I knew there was a reason Back to the future was one of my favorite movies. Good Catch  Tongue
Peggy Mason
ghost

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 08:23:13 pm »

Just uploaded fresh pics:

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc107/lrmike/Wheel%20In%202008/

Sorry about the Land Rover bias  Wink
Keith Fromme
ghost

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:48 pm »

The event was great overall and we had a fantastic time.  I didn't see a thread for feedback yet, so I'll add mine here and copy it later if need be.

I am used to the VA4WD annual runs there at Oak Ridge, so I won't try to compare it to that.  But there were a couple things I experienced that could be improved upon IMO. 
-Not a huge deal, but tie dye shirts aren't a favorite for most people.

-The food was flat out horrible.  $15 for a meal was well overpriced for sub par chicken and half a scoop of mac & cheese.  I do realize feeding that many people is a challenge, but I'd rather have had that amount deducted from my admission fee and then let us decide if we want to bring our own food or buy a meal ticket for a catered dinner.  Ok, I'll compare this one to the VA annual, extra tickets are only $5, there is more than enough to eat and we have leftovers, can go back as many times as you want, and the variety is much better, especially with the drinks.

-We all noticed everyone left before the band had a chance to get going.  I think having the raffle and the band at a campsite would have went smoother.  Or maybe they should have played before the raffle during dinner.  People ran out of beer before the band started.   Shocked

Even with that said, I appreciate all the hard work and time that was put in by a lot of people from United and other organizations.  I went primarily to wheel and make new friends, which were both accomplished.  Hopefully it was successful on your end.

Tidewater Fourwheelers
VAFWDA
UFWDA
G Lavallee
ghost

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:07:22 pm »

"The food was flat out horrible.  $15 for a meal was well overpriced for sub par chicken and half a scoop of mac & cheese.  I do realize feeding that many people is a challenge, but I'd rather have had that amount deducted from my admission fee and then let us decide if we want to bring our own food or buy a meal ticket for a catered dinner.  Ok, I'll compare this one to the VA annual, extra tickets are only $5, there is more than enough to eat and we have leftovers, can go back as many times as you want, and the variety is much better, especially with the drinks."

I had a great time, everyone was great and a lot of effort went into the event but I agree with the above.  I saw food was on sale and had planned to spend evenings at vendor area mingling and meeting people but when I saw chicken salad and hot dogs as the fare after driving 4 hours - I hit subway and the grocery store. For the main feast I figured a bbq pit and grilled chicken etc. When the announcer said the caterers worked hard for three days I wish they hadnt started cooking the chicken on the first day. The only saving grace was green beans! I would say the raffle kept people around but after that I had to head out and get something to take the taste of dinner out of my mouth.

But other than the caterer - everything else was A+
Mike West
ghost

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 08:41:10 am »

Thanks to everyone at UFWDA, the Hollands, and to everyone on "E" stands for easy.... We didnt make it back for Saturday due to a overheating issue on the way home Friday.  Thanks to Ben and Melissia for the guide and keeping us straight heading up CJ-5 hill.  I never thought i would be able to do half the things we did before Friday.  Thank you everyone once again!
Only negetive comment is to have a way to get in/out of your group so you can take a break when you need to and be able to rejoin later (i know a logistical nightmare)...I just found myself holding on too tight and not breathing enough during some of the run and later in the day it kind of wore on me.
 Grin
John Nachman
ghost

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 09:55:57 am »

Thanks to all for a great event, it was one of my best times at Oak Ridge and I've been there plenty. Debbie and I guided Group K, a small group of experienced wheelers with good equipment. We moved and covered most of the trail loop. Eveyone had a great time with no real damage, one tire off the bead doesn't really count.

Thanks again to all of the organizers and the Hollands. I always look forward to coming back.

Capital City Four Wheelers, Va4WDA, U4WDA, Scrambler Owners Assn., NCBBA
1981 Jeep Scrambler, 2000, 2002 & 2008 Grand Cherokees, 2005 Ford F250SD, 2004 Acura MDX, and 1976 CJ-7 in a lot of pieces
Jennifer
ghost

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 09:57:20 am »

Thanks to UFWDA for a great event! We had a blast. Looking forward to the next one.
chris columbo
ghost

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 10:36:54 am »

Thanks to all, my daughter and her boyfriend who's only wheels twice,  my son we all had a great time as always,  I would also like to  thank our trail guides Brad, Big Mike, Brian for a great time (line N ) can't forget Taco and everyone that wheel with us. I also agree the food was not good at all.  The food at the annual is ten times better. The shirts were different I personal will not where it but my daughter will she loves tie die.

Again Thanks to all for all of your hard work.... KEEP ON WHEELIN
Gregg Jackson
ghost

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

wwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo What a great weekend.
trail A Had an awsome group. We wheeled hard and broke even harder "Sorry Gary"
Thanks to Mike and NORMan for the trail guiding.
Thanks to whoever voted me for "Best Creek Crossing" Prolly should have been "Crack Crossing" Grin

Thanks to those who camped with us and "Camp Delk"
Here is a link to more pics. I will be adding more later today.
http://rivercitytrailrunners.org/Gallery/United-Wheel-In-BDYJ
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Virginia Wheel-In 2008  |  Topic: The Event Was Great! « previous next »
Jump to: