UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 07:37:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,050 Posts in 3,256 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Virginia Wheel-In 2009  |  Topic: UFWDA Va Wheel-in Info « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UFWDA Va Wheel-in Info  (Read 24851 times)
Eric Kohl
ghost

« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 10:07:23 am »

Info from a thread on another sforum:
States have to respect other states' laws. So a private citizen's trailer that is valid in one state, is valid in them all. Now, that doesn't mean you won't get stopped or a stupid officer might not try and write you up, but you will have a defense. If you were stopped for lack of a tag make sure the officer knows you're and out-of-stater and you are legit in your state.

By John N
I called the Va State Police today. The Sgt. I spoke to, said that as long as you're in compliance with your state's laws, have proof of ownership of the trailer and the trailer has brake and running lights you're good.

And some sound advice given:
My real world experience is consistent with these quotes but you might want to have the statute numbers from your home state to back you up if you travel beyond adjacent states.

Since South Carolina only requires private trailers over 2,500 pounds to be tagged, tags are not required.  I'm still trying to find the exact statute to verify the wording, but it looks like we won't need tags.

1982 Jeep Scrambler SOA, SRS, Waggy 44s detroited, 35" MTRs, Warn 9000, Auto, 4.10s
2002 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L, 2" BB, custom winch mount in progress
Chris Boucher
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 12:03:44 pm »

That is some great information and advice.  Thanks to you Eric and to the others who are looking into it.
Chris Hannis
Twin City Bushwackers
ghost

President: W4WDA

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2009, 12:13:23 am »

And some sound advice given:
Since South Carolina only requires private trailers over 2,500 pounds to be tagged, tags are not required.  I'm still trying to find the exact statute to verify the wording, but it looks like we won't need tags.

Once the vehicle is on the trailer you are way over 2500#'s GVW I would think SC would require tags then.

"You get what you put in and people get what they desirve" Kidd Rock
Eric Kohl
ghost

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 08:21:38 am »

SC Codes:
SECTION 56-3-20. Definitions.
(13) "Trailer" means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and constructed so that no part of its weight rests upon the towing vehicle.

SECTION 56-3-130. Exemption of certain boat, farm and other utility trailers.
Boat trailers under twenty-five hundred pounds, farm trailers and other utility trailers which are privately owned and not for hire need not be licensed or registered.

Regardless of what cargo I put on the trailer, the trailer still wieghs the same.  When determining if tags are required, SC DMV asks for the actual weight of the trailer.  Also, if you read the code above, only boat trailers have a 2,500 pound limit.  Farm and utility trailers do not have a limit.  Though I do agree the code is ambiguous to whether they refer to the UVW or GVWR of the trailer.  Campers and horse trailers with living quarters are covered under seperate codes and require tags.

Personnally, I run tags because my trailer wieghs 5,000 pounds and looks more commercial than private.  Despite the above info, my friend plans on paying th $90 fee for permanent tags to prevent any possible hassle.

Disclaimer: The above info and post are provided for information purposes only.  It is not provided as any legal guidance and I cannot be held responsible for any tickets, fines, equipment confiscation, or jail time for any ones actions because of this info. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:35:09 pm by Eric Kohl » Logged

1982 Jeep Scrambler SOA, SRS, Waggy 44s detroited, 35" MTRs, Warn 9000, Auto, 4.10s
2002 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L, 2" BB, custom winch mount in progress
Ron Magliacane
ghost

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 04:41:29 pm »

How many folks are signed up for this ride so far?

And who are they?

Just be nice to know if folks you know are going to come up.
Chris Hannis
Twin City Bushwackers
ghost

President: W4WDA

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 08:38:16 pm »

Oh, here it goes by GVW. alot like semi trailers, and vehicles.

SC Codes:
Regardless of what cargo I put on the trailer, the trailer still wieghs the same.  When determining if tags are required, SC DMV asks for the actual weight of the trailer.  Also, if you read the code above, only boat trailers have a 2,500 pound limit.  Farm and utility trailers do not have a limit.  Though I do agree the code is ambiguous to whether they refer to the UVW or GVWR of the trailer.  Campers and horse trailers with living quarters are covered under seperate codes and require tags.

Personnally, I run tags because my trailer wieghs 5,000 pounds and looks more commercial than private.  Despite the above info, my friend plans on paying th $90 fee for permanent tags to prevent any possible hassle.

Disclaimer: The above info and post are provided for information purposes only.  It is not provided as any legal guidance and I cannot be held responsible for any tickets, fines, equipment confiscation, or jail time for any ones actions because of this info. 

"You get what you put in and people get what they desirve" Kidd Rock
Timothy J Talboom
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2009, 03:25:06 pm »

So when do we have to Purchase our tickets by for this event... or should i say recommend?

is there a set number on how many wheelers can attend?
i just want to make sure i have the time off before shelling out 120. closer to the date i can buy them the better

thanks
Marti Pugh
UFWDA Manager, Business Development & Operations
ghost

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2009, 04:30:15 pm »

Tim,
The deadline for the registration is March 1, 2009. You should be fine if you want to sign up later. If it gets close to the filling up, I will post it on the forum.
Thanks
Marti
Al Bates
ghost

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2009, 10:44:06 am »

It's pretty cold in march, Can we have campfires this year?
Al Handy
ghost

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2009, 05:51:09 pm »

Just checking to see if my dog is allowed.  Can't remember if I saw any last year. 

Thanks
Al 
SIGZ
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2009, 05:23:33 am »

I was wondering if there is any information on the camping options yet. First timer here. I seen no RV's is this correct. Maybe some information on the camping amenities if any.

Hi there TJ. I registered and ready to go.

Proud member of VBJO
youliedtome
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2009, 12:24:44 am »

So im new to this site and the area. Im looking to come to the Wheel-in this march. I do have a few questions though. My truck 05 f150 with 6in bds lift and 35in bfg tires. Am i going to fit on the trails? Im not to worried about scrapes and scratches...I have a few already. And everything else i think has been answered as far as camping and such.
Keith Fromme
ghost

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2009, 01:45:57 am »

There's a lot of unanswered questions here lately.  Is there not a place for FAQs?  If there is, I sure don't see it.  These kind of questions come up all the time in regards to Oak Ridge it seems. 

Edit *Questions have been answered below*

Full size trucks - I wouldn't do that if I were you.  Most of the trails are very tight.  You would likely come off the trails with signficant body damage IMO.  I have seen an early Bronco make it through with full width 1 ton axles on 40s, but he's all armored up and not nearly as long as you.  To get between some trees he had to walk the tires up and over them.  Last pickup I saw go through OR was a huge old Dodge Powerwagon and it wasn't pretty.  Maybe if you were really, really careful, choose the right trails, and have a short bed and single cab?  An 05 F150 just sounds too nice to take the chance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:50:40 pm by Keith Fromme » Logged

Tidewater Fourwheelers
VAFWDA
UFWDA
John Crump
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2009, 01:51:35 pm »

Hi,
According to The Voice info, registrations can be canceled for this event. I don't want to cancel. I want to transfer the VA registration to the TX Wheel-in registration, understanding that the fee structure may be different.

Is this the area of the Forum where this takes place?

Please advise.

Thanks.......John
Marti Pugh
UFWDA Manager, Business Development & Operations
ghost

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 03:34:33 pm »

Keith,

We have a section for FAQ's, http://www.ufwda.org/smf/index.php?topic=2524.0

If you have questions that are not included in the FAQ section just let me know and I will take care of them and add them to the list.

As far as the other questions, I apologize for not answering them sooner. I seemed to have missed them.

Campfire- You may have a campfire at each site as long as it is in a fire pot that is raised off of the ground. No campfires on the ground will be permitted. Participants must clean up their own campfire area. In addition, they must make sure that the fire is completely distinguished and may not dump the ashes in the dumpster without making sure that all coals are completely out.

Dogs- Yes you may bring your dogs as long as they are always on a leash. The dog must also not be able to exit the vehicle without a leash. For example, if your top is down on your vehicle, the dog must not be able to jump out of that vehicle. You must also clean up after the dog.

Camping- you are correct, it is primitive camping and no RV's are allowed.

I will add all of these to the FAQ's and if you have any other questions that you would like to see on the FAQ's just let me know and I will post them.
Thanks for pointing out these questions that I missed.

The tentative schedule will be posted at the beginning of next week.

Thanks
Marti
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Virginia Wheel-In 2009  |  Topic: UFWDA Va Wheel-in Info « previous next »
Jump to: