UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:53:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,048 Posts in 3,254 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Virginia Wheel-In 2009  |  Topic: UFWDA Trail Chef Competition « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UFWDA Trail Chef Competition  (Read 4125 times)
Marti Pugh
UFWDA Manager, Business Development & Operations
ghost

« on: December 22, 2008, 03:43:40 pm »

Announcing the UFWDA Best TRAIL CHEF Contest:

Date: Thursday, March 12. 2008
Time: Cooking starts at 4:00 p.m.
           Judging starts at 7:30 p.m.

United Four Wheel Drive Associations would like to announce the Best Trail Chef Contest that will be held on Thursday evening March 12, 2008. The contest will be open to everyone that wants to participate. You do not have to pre-register for the contest, we ask that you simply email business@ufwda.org to let us know that you will be participating in the contest. The registration for the contest will occur Thursday evening when you check in for the event. Participants can make anything that they would like and will be judged on taste, creativity and degree of difficulty for trail cooking. 

Rules of the contest:
•   MUST BE A REGISTERED PARTICIPANT OF THE WHEEL-IN EVENT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST.
•   You must use only what you can transport in your vehicle. In other words, you may not bring anything that will not fit within your vehicle. If you have to trailer a grill then it can not be used. You may use a grill if you can transport it in the vehicle.
•   You can use any ingredients that you would like to use- the sky is the limit.
•   All cooking must take place on site. You may not prepare anything in advance, unless you have a marinade that could be prepared and then taken on the trail.
•   You must have all food prepared by 7:30 p.m. and to the judges table.

We will have a panel of judges that you will be cooking for so you will need to prepare enough food for four people to sample. The judges will sample each dish and determine a winner that evening. Participants are welcome to cook enough for others to sample as well.
The winner will have their recipe placed, if they want to share it,in the UFWDA Voice publication. If not, we will write an article about them and the competition. In addition, participant will win a trophy and a prize. The winner will also have bragging rights for a year as United Four Wheel Drive Associations’ top trail chef!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:38:11 pm by Marti Pugh » Logged
John Nachman
ghost

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 12:39:18 am »

Do you need judges? This could be some good eating.  Grin

Capital City Four Wheelers, Va4WDA, U4WDA, Scrambler Owners Assn., NCBBA
1981 Jeep Scrambler, 2000, 2002 & 2008 Grand Cherokees, 2005 Ford F250SD, 2004 Acura MDX, and 1976 CJ-7 in a lot of pieces
Philip Sirota
ghost

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:02:28 am »

Do you need judges? This could be some good eating.  Grin

X2 on this as we will be there on Thursday....

Phil

06 Rubicon Unlimited 
4" FT Ultimate Lift
33" MT/R Goodyears
Skid Row Engine, Gas Tank & LCA Skids 
Warn M8000 & Steering Skid 
Jeep Rockcrawler Front Bumper
Body Armor Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier & Rock Sliders

You Could Follow, but You Should'nt
mike day
ghost

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 06:55:11 pm »

Jimmy has to be behind this. I think Tidewater will be up for the challenge.
Chris Boucher
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:42:12 pm »

Yeah, the Tidewater folks put the "mac" in mac and cheese.  Will there be a required menu, or will it be chef's choice?
Marti Pugh
ghost

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:59 am »

Chris,
It is Chef's choice! That is part of the fun, to see what exciting menus the participants can come up with. I have had several phone calls about this event and at least one family that has signed up because of this event, so it should be an exciting competition.

Thanks
Marti
Clint Terrill
UFWDA Vice President
ghost

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:36 pm »

Jimmy has to be behind this. I think Tidewater will be up for the challenge.
Close,
Jimmys evil sous chef

UFWDA Vice President
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:53 pm »

Good thing I will not be here for header burritos...

To far from Cali for me to make it...

Burritos to make you sweat bullets...

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Tony Wheeler
ghost

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:14:00 pm »

Marti,

It states cooking on site. Now will this be in the camping area at a designated spot or are we heading out to an undisclosed location on the trails? Just asking because of safety reasons as to what i would be carrying in the jeep for the cooking competition. Also you said we could bring a marinade that was made before we came does that mean the meat cannot be in said marinade before we start the competition?

Just trying to clarify a couple things before some folks take the rules as they see fit.

Tony
Marti Pugh
ghost

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 03:06:44 pm »

Tony,
The meat can be in the marinade prior to the event. You just have to cook it at the event. Any marinades can be made ahead of time but any other prep work will need to take place during the contest hours at the event.
 The cooking will take place near the vendor area so that anyone that wants to watch can do so. You will not have to actually go out on the trail to do the cooking, it will be in a safe location at the vendor area.
Does this mean that you are throwing your hat into the ring and competing?
Thanks
Marti
Tony Wheeler
ghost

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 03:54:26 pm »

I am working on getting the time off from my new job. I should have 4 pay periods by that time which would allow me to come down on thursday. I also have 2 personal days but, may need those for other things.

If i can get it approved Jimmy and Clint better watch out.  Tongue

Tony
Marti Pugh
ghost

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »

Tony,
Glad to hear that you are going to make it out for the event. Hope it all works so you can talk some trash to Jimmy and Clint.
See you at Oak Ridge-
Marti
Clint Terrill
UFWDA Vice President
ghost

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 11:08:07 pm »

I am working on getting the time off from my new job. I should have 4 pay periods by that time which would allow me to come down on thursday. I also have 2 personal days but, may need those for other things.

If i can get it approved Jimmy and Clint better watch out.  Tongue

Tony

Your wife likes my cookin better than yours!!

UFWDA Vice President
jimmy hyman
ghost

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:08:51 pm »

worked on a recipe tonight!
working well!!!!!!!!!!!!

very tasty....

sign me up!!!  look out mike day''''''''''
Norm Ralston
ghost

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:12 pm »

I had lunch with Andy today and he has some good chow planned. Wish I could join in on this fun....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Virginia Wheel-In 2009  |  Topic: UFWDA Trail Chef Competition « previous next »
Jump to: