UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 03:04:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
13,949 Posts in 3,170 Topics by 970 Members
Latest Member: Mactron
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Access (Land Use, RTF, Advocacy, etc)  |  General Land Advocacy  |  Topic: Omnibus Public Lands Bill is still alive and to be voted on Monday March 16! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Omnibus Public Lands Bill is still alive and to be voted on Monday March 16!  (Read 544 times)
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President

« on: March 14, 2009, 06:30:14 pm »

Omnibus Public Lands Bill is still alive and to be voted on Monday March 16!

Thursday 12 March was a sad day for Americans who enjoy traveling the great outdoors and for international observers of the US law making process.

One of the biggest land use Bills, the once named Omnibus Bill, now tacked onto H.R. 146, has been engineered in Congress to allow minimal discussion despite its complexity and huge implications to 4x4 recreation, energy resources etc..

It is vital that you call or email your Senators and representatives immediately, to demand that they vote NO to the passage of H.R. 146 in its present form. The House votes on Monday afternoon.

To find your Officials, the AMA have a useful system on www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

The irony is that H.R. 146 is the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Protection Act Bill, to recognise those sites in US history where citizens died for their beliefs.

http://rpc.senate.gov/public/_files/hotline0.html

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h146/show

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...6&position=all

Peter Vahry

UFWDA international vice-president

intlvp@ufwda.org

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
dds4x4
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:40:40 am »

OH, sure ... try to push it through while a lot of our folks are in the woods "enjoying" Oak Ridge, VA.

THANKS for the notice Peter, guess some of us are still "working"!
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59:15 am »

Yes, thank you Peter.  I have contacted my representatives and will again.  I think 4WD drivers in the US will need to get into the habit of contacting their representatives more often.

Its ironic that in the "Land of the Free" that we have to battle for access to our public lands.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:35:17 am »

Yep, it seems that Iraq such places don't have a monopoly on dubious government! A bit from the Pirate 4x4 site....www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769985

If anyone wishes to see the video, it is now on C-span. Reid and company even make a joke of it - note the laughter - a real inside joke.

www.c-spanarchives.org/library/includes/templates/library/flash_popup.php?pID=284580-1&clipStart=28570&clipStop=

Mr. REID. Mr. President
The PRESIDING OFFICER Mr. Majority Leader
Mr. REID. I ask unanimous consent the call to quorum be terminated.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Without objection, so ordered
Mr. REID. I now move to proceed to Calendar No. 27, H.R. 146.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. The motion is debatable.
Mr. REID. I then send a cloture petition to the desk.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. The clerk will report the motion.
The legislative clerk read as follows:
Cloture Motion
We, the undersigned Senators, in accordance with provisions of rule XXII of the Standing Rules of the Senate, hereby move to bring to a close the debate on the motion to proceed to Calendar No. 27, H.R. 146, the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Protection Act. Signed by 17 senators as follows.
Reid of Nevada, Murray, Cardin, Hagan, Dorgan, Durbin,(interrupted)
Mr REID. (unintelligible) I'm going to ask you now something, reading need to be waived
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Without objection, it is so ordered.
Mr Reid: Title of the Bill threw me off a little there (laughter)
Mr. REID. I ask that the mandatory quorum be waived.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Without objection, so ordered.
Mr. REID. I ask consent that the vote on the motion to invoke cloture occur at 5:30 Monday, March 16; and that if cloture is invoked, the post-cloture time count as if cloture had been invoked at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 16; and post cloture time continue to run during any recess, adjournment, or morning business period.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Without objection, so ordered.
Mr. REID. I ask unanimous consent that when the Senate completes its business today, Senate adjourn until 2 p.m. Monday, March 16; that following the prayer and the pledge, the proceedings be approved to date, the morning hour be deemed expired, the time for the two leaders be reserved for their use later in the day; the Senate proceed to period of morning business until 3 p.m.,the Senators permitted to speak for up to 10 minutes each. Following morning business, the Senate resume consideration of motion to proceed to H.R. 146 the legislative vehicle for the Omnibus Lands Bill.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. Without objection, it is so ordered.
Mr. REID. The next roll-call vote will occur Monday at 5:30 p.m. This vote will be on the motion to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to H.R. 146.
Mr. REID. Mr. President, if there is no further business to come before the Senate, I ask that we that we stand adjourned under the previous order.
The PRESIDING OFFICER. The Senate stands adjourned until Monday, March 16, 2009, at 2 p.m.

I use feeds and html pages that get updated - I have never used C-Span web site but they will show the Senate live on Monday. Those with a Flash Player can watch it:
www.c-spanarchives.org/library/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=284644-1

I can't do updates tomorrow, got other fish to fry (I'll be scarce for awhile, you all get a reprieve).

With some luck, support for this maneuver will fail before tomorrow afternoon and S.22 Omnibus Lands goes to back to the committee process it should of had already. Would not be the first time Reid backs off - and its always easy to save face by spinning the past to suit the present.

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Access (Land Use, RTF, Advocacy, etc)  |  General Land Advocacy  |  Topic: Omnibus Public Lands Bill is still alive and to be voted on Monday March 16! « previous next »
Jump to: