UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 07:57:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,013 Posts in 3,224 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Access (Land Use, RTF, Advocacy, etc)  |  General Land Advocacy  |  Topic: The role of Trout Unlimited. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The role of Trout Unlimited.  (Read 902 times)
Todd Ockert
ghost

« on: March 18, 2009, 08:39:40 am »

The role of Trout Unlimited.

When considering the Tellico matter and other issues of access in which Trout Unlimited (TU) have involved themselves; it would appear their leadership have simply not thought this one through. Encouraging policies and legislation that prohibit motorized entry to these areas seems to imply that all trout fishermen are physical specimens of our species. Most fishermen I know (including myself) are people of average ability; some with bad knees or a weak back that need to drive to the fishing hole. They are not marvelously built individuals with heart and lung capacities of world class endurance athletes, backpacking for miles across ridge tops to get to their streams. Yet this is what is suggested by TU’s doctrine of we don’t need no stinkin’ trucks.

Physical fitness aside, are the rest of the nation to abandon our parks? Do TU believe this scenario they are creating—in which taxpayers essentially subsidize the recreation of a very few—will last long term? As our population continues to grow, expand, and consume, how can a philosophy of conservation by exclusion be sustainable? In a vain attempt to explain the latter, I sent the following letter to the TU leadership of NC, TN, members of the TU national council, as well as the editorial desks of the Chattanoogan, Asheville Citizen-Times, and Clay County Progress:

This may be one of the most honest letters you will read regarding the situation in Tellico. I am not an attorney. I am not associated with a special-interest group, attempting to force its point-of-view. I am an individual respectfully writing to you as an outdoorsman. I consider myself a hunter, fisherman, mountain biker, hiker, and off-road enthusiast--one no more than another and in no particular order. As a member of many varied user-groups that use public land I am exposed to the assortment of conflicts that arise among them.

I have heard the mountain bikers complain about sharing trails with horses. In turn, the equestrians gripe about the mountain bikers. The fishermen are aggravated by pleasure-boaters and grumble over areas with off-highway vehicles (OHV). The hikers, it seems, do not want to share any area with anyone; and the hunters--having already lost most of their usage rights--don’t seem to matter at all. What all these people fail to realize is that they are all bound together by their love of the outdoors. With proper land management, there are enough forests, streams, lakes, and trails for all. A given area can only remain secure by respecting the rights of all to freely use it; one lone segment is not large or powerful enough to protect our land…We all need each other.

Although this concept is lost to most of the user-groups I have mentioned, it is very well known to environmental activists and bureaucrats. Under the guise of protecting and preserving, the activists and bureaucrats make their livings by taking and regulating. Our differences are exploited by them. They gain nothing when outdoorsmen get along. By dividing and excluding us one group at a time, they make it easier for their friends (the politicians) to “share” what would have been our land with developers, loggers, and miners.

The Trout Unlimited website declares that it was never their “intent” to completely remove a fellow user-group from Tellico; yet the decision to do so is one they “applaud.” Regardless, once the OHV users are gone and the local economy adjusts itself to their absence, other forms of business will take hold and people will move on. Fewer people will use Tellico and proportionately fewer jobs will depend upon its existence. Coming generations will begin to view Tellico as a void and impedance to the region’s vitality. Then the activists and bureaucrats will return to cut off another piece…maybe your piece. When that time comes, who will be left to stand with Trout Unlimited and defend the right to use public land when that very right has been so devalued? It is in all our interests right now to see this to a different outcome.

There is enough Tellico for all of us, but too much for any one interest to protect. There are other alternatives to preserving the native trout without threatening the long-term sustainability of this area. Irreparable trails that are objectively determined to be endangering the trout should be permanently closed; in exchange for new trails being created on higher/safer ground. This is commonly referred to as land management and is an area of expertise in which the Forest Service is apparently lacking. Please understand my point: we--as outdoorsmen--are all on the same side. We all love the outdoors and want to share it with our friends and families. It is time for sportsmen of all stripes to stop competing with each other. We need to use some of that patience and perseverance we get from driving a truck through a rock garden, climbing a mountain on a bike, calling ducks in a blind, or chasing the fish of our dreams and use it to protect our lifestyles for years to come.

Thank you,

Dr. CF Beets

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Shawn Pagan
ghost

Roads a prime example of useless govt. spending!

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:30:11 am »

AMEN!

Proud Member: United Four Wheel Drive Associations, The Blue Ribbon Coalition, Colorado Association of 4WD Clubs, Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition, Southwest Four Wheel Drive Association, Texas Motorized Trails Coalition, Trailridge Runners, Southern High Rollers
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:16:08 pm »

I agree.  I've attended the Tellico water quality stakeholder meetings for years.  All parties got along.  We each had our own perspective and self-interest, but we tried to work together to solve issues.  As an avid kayaker on the Tellico River, I am concerned about the water quality.

But, this river runs cold and clear.  The trout hatchery uses the river's water and raises beautiful trout.  The river has been considered for Wild and Scenic status.

So, why have the SELC, Trout Unlimited, PEER, and WildSouth suddenly decided to attack the Forest Service over this issue?  We have partnered with the Forest Service for 20 years and have invested millions of dollars in fees and volunteer labor. We have been good citizens.

Why has the Forest Service betrayed the OHV community after all these years?  They have given us awards in the past and touted the fact that we are one of the few forms of recreation that pay for ourselves.  Anglers don't pay user fees.  Campgrounds cost more than they make, etc.

The most frustrating thing is that I know deep in my soul that we can fix any problems areas, but we may not get a chance.

We have always performed the tasks we were asked by the Forest Service.  No more and no less.  We worked under their direction and supervision.

The betrayal by the Forest Service and the break of trust with Trout Unlimited is a real shame.  No one wins in this game.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:51:16 pm »

i wonder how many of those that fish  on the river use some form of OHV to get to their favorite spot on the river?

Now, they will not be able to do that!

If they are older, and have bad knee's, or are not able to hike any amount of distance, they will not get to their favorite spot.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Shawn Pagan
ghost

Roads a prime example of useless govt. spending!

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 01:28:42 pm »

Todd that of course is one of the arguments... just like farmers and hunters who use ATV's but vote for laws regulating them.. then when they can no longer use their ATV they go well I don't use it for recreation....  Undecided  They don't get it - when a blanket law is applied it applies to them as well.

I have seen this happen time and time again...

- Shawn

Proud Member: United Four Wheel Drive Associations, The Blue Ribbon Coalition, Colorado Association of 4WD Clubs, Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition, Southwest Four Wheel Drive Association, Texas Motorized Trails Coalition, Trailridge Runners, Southern High Rollers
Dave Logan
ghost

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 02:14:04 pm »

Yup, and by then its too late.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:16:08 pm by Dave Logan » Logged

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:21:26 pm »

Shawn and Dave

I know, and for the most part, these people do not understand the consequences of their actions.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Dave Logan
ghost

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:24:01 pm »

Unfortunately, there are a lot of them.  I affectionately call them "sheeple".  Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Access (Land Use, RTF, Advocacy, etc)  |  General Land Advocacy  |  Topic: The role of Trout Unlimited. « previous next »
Jump to: