UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:36:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,045 Posts in 3,251 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Barnwell Mountain Wheel-in 2009  |  Topic: Barnwell Mountain Wheel-In Details « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barnwell Mountain Wheel-In Details  (Read 5929 times)
Luana Schneider
4 Lakes 4 Wheelers
ghost

« on: April 20, 2009, 02:24:39 pm »

Is there a listing of details for this wheel-in as to what is occurring different days?
Thanks
Eric Barnes
ghost

President - Southern High Rollers, Houston TX

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:07:30 pm »

We are planning some fun competitions on Thursday late afternoon/evening where we map out a small course and have a passenger hold a spoon out the window with an egg balanced in it.  The driver tries to navigate the course as fast as possible without causing the passenger to drop the egg.  We might also do another where the driver is blind folded and the passenger 'spots' them around the same course for fastest time.   On Friday after noon we will have one set of organized trail runs and then on Friday evening a Rock Garden competition.  Two organized trail rides on Saturday (one morning, one afternoon) and then the big BBQ, raffle and music Sat night.
I'm sure that Marti will get the schedule posted up once the times are set in stone, but this is the general plan to my knowledge.

Eric

1980 CJ7 Chevy 350 w/MPFI, 700R4, Atlas 4sp, Tom Woods shafts, TeraFlex CRD60Rs front and rear, ARB/Detroit w/5.38s  SOA front, 4 link w/King Coilovers in rear.  107" Wheelbase and 170:1 final..............Just plain fun.
Jim Mazzola
UFWDA President
ghost

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:26:17 pm »

Thanks for the rough itinerary Eric. What are the camping arrangements like? Big field? How accessible is it?
jim-kb8ymf
Eric Barnes
ghost

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:51:40 am »

Glad to be of some help Jim! ( I love to feel useful, it happens so little )  Grin

Camping is basically 'any where you want'.  There are designated RV sites which have electric, but there are also primitive sites throughout the park.  The Houston club I am President for has a site in the back of the park that is a 'big field' just as you are probably envisioning.  We like it because it is one of the places where the breeze seems to blow more often and keep things cool.  Plus it is in a section where people are less inclined to 'drive by' at night.   There are many places to setup a primitive camp site that are along the main access road(s) and I have no issues getting my 33' toy hauler back to our site.

HTH,

Eric

1980 CJ7 Chevy 350 w/MPFI, 700R4, Atlas 4sp, Tom Woods shafts, TeraFlex CRD60Rs front and rear, ARB/Detroit w/5.38s  SOA front, 4 link w/King Coilovers in rear.  107" Wheelbase and 170:1 final..............Just plain fun.
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President
ghost

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:10:49 am »

UFWDA Annual General Meeting and Texas Wheel-in

Do not miss out on the fun, sign up today!!

United Four Wheel Drive Associations is hosting the Annual General Meeting this year in Dallas, Texas on May 19 and 20, 2009 and we hope that everyone plans to attend.

Now more than ever, we face challenges that threaten our sport on a daily basis. The AGM will allow us to put our thoughts together and develop strategies for moving forward in this tough political climate. Every day we hear of more and more closures and the only way to combat that is through a united voice. Please plan to attend and do your part to assist in the fight.

Following the AGM, United Four Wheel Drive Associations is hosting the Texas Wheel-in. This will be the Inaugural Texas Wheel-in at Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area in Gilmer, Texas. The park is amazing and offers something for everyone. Sign up today so that you do not miss out on all of the fun.

Read on to find information regarding both events. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me, Marti Pugh, at business@ufwda.org or via phone at 434-465-5302.

Annual General Meeting:

Attendance: Anyone who is a member of United Four Wheel Drive Associations may attend the Annual General Meeting.

Date: May 19 and 20, 2009

Registration Fees -

Delegate Registration @ $125.00
Non - Delegate Registration @ $125.00

Registration - You may register on line at www.ufwda.org or via the mail. If you do not want to register on line and would like to register via the mail please do so very soon so that we have all of you information by the end of registration. You may do so by downloading the document that is on the website and mail it to the address shown on the form.

Registration deadline - May 11, 2009

Delegate credentials - If you are a delegate attending the meeting you must fill out the delegate credential form and be a member of UFWDA. The form must be turned in prior to the meeting. The form can be found on the forum at www.ufwda.org.

Hotel Accommodations-
 Dallas Best Western Hotel and Conference Center
8051 LBJ Frwy,   Dallas, Texas, 75251-1301, US
Phone: 972/680-3000         Fax: 972/680-3200
Toll Free Reservations: 800-780-7234

The link is here:
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=44628

Camping - We have been given permission to park campers in the parking lot of the hotel for dry camping.

What the registration fee includes -

*Registration packet
    * Lunch both days of the meeting for one person
    * One ticket for the banquet on Wednesday evening that includes dinner and a guest speaker
    *One copy of the annual report per registered attendee

What the registration does not include -

*Hotel accommodations
      Meals other than lunch and dinner on Wednesday

AGM Guest Speaker - Tony Eeds, the President of Texas Motorized Trails Coalition will be the guest speaker this year. He will be giving a great and interesting presentation on how TMTC received the funding for their latest park, the Escondido Draw Area and how the loss of public land use has effected the state of Texas and the sport. It will be a very educational and exciting speech.

Annual Report - The annual report will be out with plenty of time for all to read it and will be posted on the forum soon. A copy of the report will be provided for all of those that are registered to attend the event.

AGM Schedule - Please note that this is the tentative schedule and is subject to change.

Monday - 7:00 p.m. Meet and Greet at the Best Western Hotel

Tuesday - 9:00 a.m. Meeting will begin ( agenda for the meeting will be distributed)

10:30 a.m. 15 minute break

12:30 p.m. Lunch break

3:30 p.m. 15 minute break

5:00 p.m. Meeting adjourned for the day

Tony Eeds will be putting together information for those that wish to visit some of the great things that Dallas has to offer.

Wednesday - 9:00 a.m. - Meeting will begin

10:30 a.m. - 15 minute break

12:30 p.m. - Lunch break

3:30 p.m. - 15 minute break

5:00 p.m. - Meeting adjourned

7:00 p.m. - Banquet

Airport Transportation - If you are flying to the AGM and need transportation from the airport you must send an email to business@ufwda.org by the registration deadline with flight numbers, times and details so that we can make arrangements to pick you up. Once you have sent me that email I will respond with confirmation on the details of your pick up. If you have not received a confirmation then that means that I did not receive your email and you will need to call 434-465-5302 to confirm your information.

Questions or concerns - please email Marti Pugh at business@ufwda.org or phone at 434-465-5302. Please visit the forums frequently for the latest information and updates in regards to the AGM and the Texas Wheel-in.

Texas Wheel-in event

Registration Fees - Member @ $100.00

Non- Member @ $130.00

Date: May 21,22 and 23, 2009.

About Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area: Here are some links that tell you a little about Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area-

http://www.news-journal.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/04/10/04102009_barnwell_mountain.html

http://www.barnwellmountainra.com/

Registration - Please register for this event at www.ufwda.org or you may also register via mail by printing the registration and mailing it to the address on the bottom of the form.

Registration Deadline: May 11. 2009

Registration includes:

*Park admittance for three days for registrant and passenger
    *Camping for three days
    *One ticket to the catered dinner Saturday night, passengers will need to purchase additional meal tickets
    *Concert ticket for Saturday night
    * Eligible for free raffle Friday night
    * T-shirt
    *Dash Plaque
    *Trail rides
    *Contests

There will be food vendors at the event. The only meal that is provided is the dinner Saturday evening.

Wheel-in schedule: Please note that the Wheel-in schedule is subject to change.

Thursday: 12:00 p.m. The park will open and will allow for campers to set up.

4:00 p.m. Trail Chef Competition begins

5:00 p.m. Check -in for participants

7:00 p.m. Trail Chef competition ends, judging begins

8:00 p.m. Trail Chef winner announced

Friday: 8:00 a.m. Check-in for participants

8:30 a.m. Driverís meeting (mandatory)

9:00 a.m. Trail rides begin

4:00 p.m. Humpty Dumpty Contest

7:00 p.m. Rock crawling competition

9:00 p.m. FREE raffle drawing for all registered participants

Saturday: 8:30 a.m. Driverís meeting

9:00 a.m. Trail rides begin

5:00 p.m. Humpty Dumpty Contest

6:30 p.m. Dinner

7:00 p.m. Band

There will also be a special presentation given to Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area by BF Goodrich Tires for receiving the Outstanding Trail Award this year.

Should you have any questions regarding the Texas Wheel-in please email business@ufwda.org or call 434-465-5302.

Please be sure to keep an eye on the forums in the AGM 2009 and Wheel-in Barnwell sections, for all of the latest information and updates as they are made available.

Hope to see you all at both of these great events.

https://www.ufwda.org/memberapps/AGM_2009.php

https://www.ufwda.org/memberapps/wheel_in_2008.php

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
Luana Schneider
4 Lakes 4 Wheelers
ghost

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 03:54:19 pm »

In the initial FAQ's for the Wheel-In it was stated that folks could still wheel on Sunday and Monday at no extra charge.  When I read the details it does not mention that so I assume that part did not work out? 
Thanks
Eric Barnes
ghost

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:28:56 am »

According to the agreement between UFWDA and Barnwell Mountain Sunday looks to be included.  We have a conference call tomorrow and I'll raise the question and post back here with a definitive answer.  If those days are not included, I'll get the day use fee and post that up as well.

Eric

Eric Barnes
ghost

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »

OK, as per our conference call today - all those attending Barnwell Mountain for the wheel in event, Sunday and Monday are NOT included.  Barnwell Board has graciously extended the membership rate of $5 per day to wheel for those days.  So if you want to get in a couple extra days of wheeling it will only cost you $10 to wheel.   

John Crump
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:20:38 pm »

Eric

Does that $5.00 per day for  Sunday and Monday  include camping  or will that be extra
   john
Eric Barnes
ghost

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 05:28:00 am »

John, sorry for the delay, but camping would be extra. - $10 for dry camping / $20 for RV site

Eric

Raymond Merrow
ghost

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 09:45:24 pm »

Had an awesome time!  Thanks to everyone on the Hard Group, oh and I guess I'll through a thank you out to Steve for coming back to get me! Grin 

Ray

P.S. If you got any pics of the XJ on the trails please let me know I would love to get a copy of them!

Ray Merrow
'97 XJ
'96 ZJ
'07 Camp Jeep Trail Guide
'08 VA Wheel-In Trail Guide
Eric Barnes
ghost

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 08:30:36 am »

Don't forget it was my winch that rescued you!  Wink  Thanks to Steve for getting out in the rain and hooking you up without me having to get completely soaked.  Course with no top on his Jeep, he was already as drenched as he could get. 

I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday's run, but that should teach me not to show up for an event with a busted Jeep and have to spend the whole first day fixing my junk.  Many thanks to Joe from BFG bringing the BIG check for Barnwell and to all those who attended.  The first year of anything can be a bit shaky, but next year will be bigger and better as we build on this one.  It was great to meet y'all from out of state and welcome you to the Republic of TEXAS!

Eric

Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 11:30:29 am »

Eric

How many people showed up for the Wheel-in?

I hope that everyone had fun.
It was great to get BFG to give the Outstanding Trails award for 2009 to Barnwell Mountain.  I wish I was there for it.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Luana Schneider
4 Lakes 4 Wheelers
ghost

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 01:41:50 pm »

We, Rod & I with the Wisconsin Commando and also Mick & Frances  with the new Toyota FJ, definitely enjoyed Barnwell Mountain, but even moreso all the good people we met!!  The trail leaders were extremely good and got us all through spots in a real smooth way!  Our main leader was Todd and was wondering if we can get info on how to get a hold of him.  The BBQ was really good in spite of the nasty storm that rolled in as we were eating.  Also enjoyed the undaunted entertainer who didn't dare bring out his electrical equipment so got out his regular guitar and strolled around singing songs.  Also thanks to BFG for donatingTWO sets of tires instead of one--even if we didn't win any of them!!  Not sure who donated the WARN winch but sure got a kick out of the person who bought $100 worth of tickets and went home with a set of tires AND the WARN winch!!  Also learned so much about getting on Offroad Park going and developed from Tony Eeds that we will be using as reference here in Wisconsin.

Thanks y'all!!
Eric Barnes
ghost

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 04:59:24 pm »

Todd - I beleive that we had about 50 or so for dinner Saturday evening which included all attendees and volunteers. 

Luana - Todd's email is deschepper@comcast.net and you are more than welcome to contact him there.  We've missed him and his son Drew as now that Drew is off to college they don't seem to find their way out to wheel with us as much anymore.  He remarked around the campfire Saturday evening that he had forgotten how much fun our trips were and was making a point to not let so much time lapse before coming out again.  I think they enjoyed the weekend as much as y'all did.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Barnwell Mountain Wheel-in 2009  |  Topic: Barnwell Mountain Wheel-In Details « previous next »
Jump to: