UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:09:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,046 Posts in 3,252 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Southeast  |  Topic: The SFWDA, UFWDA, and BRC issued a notice of intent to sue the Forest Service « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The SFWDA, UFWDA, and BRC issued a notice of intent to sue the Forest Service  (Read 2477 times)
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« on: April 30, 2009, 08:27:24 am »

This week the SFWDA along with the UFWDA and BRC issued a notice of intent to sue the US Forest Service under the Clean Water Act due to the Tellico trail closures.

"The Forest has engaged itself and the public in a nearly two-year process of swallowing the SELC NOI conclusions hook, line and sinker.  The central conclusions of the February 27th letter and the Order/DM closely follow the allegations, if not specific wording, of the NOI.  The NOI allegations and Forestís acceptance of them cannot be squared with the facts or applicable law.  Notwithstanding their concerted effort to pursue collaborative and creative solutions at transitioning to a meaningful, active management system at the Area, the Recreational Groups find themselves backed into a corner by the Forestís actions.  Such actions reflect erring on the side of eliminating use that has been continuing for decades.  Sadly, the Forest apparently perceives an unsolvable dilemma, despite the fact that alternative, more successful management strategies have been proposed to the Forest from internal and external sources.  Absent a meaningful response to the concerns raised here the Recreational Groups will find themselves with no resort but the courts."

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:46:05 am by Dave Logan » Logged

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:39:55 am »

Thanks Dave

We are all watching this.

Not sure what we can learn from the Central Valley Water Authority here, and how they are working with Friends of the Rubicon to help keep local streams and creeks.

I can dig up the info that was brought up, and has been used to help the trail and creeks if needed.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Dave Logan
ghost

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:39:24 pm »

I think we've got what we need, Todd.  But if we need it, we'll ask right away.  Thanks.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Pat Brower
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:01:04 pm »

Best wishes to you Dave.

Sock it to 'em!

Kiss

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Dave Logan
ghost

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 06:49:30 am »

We're going to try, Pat.  Thanks.  I hope to see you in Dallas.  Grin

Pat Brower
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 07:27:32 pm »

Cry

Alas, I won't be there this year.

Our President, Bob DeVore is going to attend as GLFWDA Delegate this year, and with the tight economy I can't swing it on my own.

Bob's a GREAT guy and would like to get to know United better.
Good things can only come from getting to know United better, so how could I do anything but encourage him, right?
Anyway, give him a warm welcome for me.  I think you'll like him.

Maybe I'll get to see you next year.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Dave Logan
ghost

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:02:57 pm »

I understand, Pat.  I'll look him up and welcome him.

Hang in there and keep fighting the fight.  Thanks...

dds4x4
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:32:28 pm »

WARNING the Marines and Hummers are headed to Texas from Michigan and the Great Lakes states!
I too will not make this Annual meeting ... but we are sending reinforcements!
You'll love Bob!
Dave Logan
ghost

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:34:01 am »

Sorry you can't make it either, Doug.  I'll look forward to meeting Bob.

CRJeepin
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 07:43:01 am »

Hey all,
New member here, thanks for you hard work!

I was looking at some documents for the USFS Charter for the Tellico trail system about 6 months ago - for the life of me I can't recall where I found them, BUT I specifically recall that their charter required Forest Service maintenance of the trails, and specifically to a minimum standard that they outlined in the charter.

Does anybody have that document?

It would seem there is basis for legal action based on their failure to uphold the charter; they clearly let the trails turn into much more challenging routes than simple 4wd dirt roads.  That neglect directly caused the erosion they cited as a reason for closure.

Really burns me up, I wheeled Tellico just once about 2 years ago and was really disappointed by lack of ranger presence.  In three days, we saw a ranger once, which is less frequently than I have seen rangers while backpacking 15 miles into the back country in other national forests!

Anyway, just my .02 - thanks again
Chris
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Southeast  |  Topic: The SFWDA, UFWDA, and BRC issued a notice of intent to sue the Forest Service « previous next »
Jump to: