UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 07:13:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,035 Posts in 3,241 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Southeast  |  Topic: 2$ for (insert cause here) « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2$ for (insert cause here)  (Read 1865 times)
Todd Ockert
ghost

« on: May 07, 2009, 11:56:16 am »

I got this from a thread over on Pirate4x4: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786084

The Tellico Tea Party event got me thinking on a trip last weekend,when I think too hard smoke comes out of my ears so the wife asked what was up.
I told her of the closure and the lack of local support and that I needed a way to let the local merchants know what an inpact that the wheeling community makes to their economy. The wife manages a bank, this is her idea.
2 dollar bills.
everyone spends a couple hundred on a wheeling trip,before you leave your home town go by the bank and ask for a strap of 2 dollar bills. The local bank may not have them that day but can order them for the next business day. Mark the bills.Take a sharpie and write "SAVE TELLICO" "WAKE UP MURPHY" or whatever pertains to your local cause.
A couple of things happen here.
Everyone,absolutly everyone notices a 2 dollar bill. The pimple faced kid at the register may have never seen one,It it real? The register dosen't have a slot for it. Wheres the manager? You have just engaged 2 people in the local economy and held their attention long enough to explain that that money goes away with the Tellico closure. Had you swiped your credit card the kid would have listened to you talk and dismissed your conversation as soon as you left the door. Spend money in every shop in town you can,give some to the wife/girlfriend they are professionals at this task. every time you spend money engage the same conversation, help Tellico= make money.
Now the weekend is over and you are on your way home. BUT WAIT! you left something in Murphy! Yup, that cash is going to float in the local economy for weeks/months perhaps years. The shops are going to make deposits to the local bank. The tellers are going to notice the bills. The shop owner will tell the story as he stands at the counter. The tellers are going to pass the bills to the locals,perhaps the mayor himself. Whats this? well the teller says the local shops were flooded with these over the weekend by the Jeep people. Huh? You know the Tellico OHV? Now the town is talking.
three or Four bills in a local bank branch in a day would be noticed,Three or Four HUNDRED would be the talk of the town.
I hope this helps,just trying to think outside the box.

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Shawn Pagan
ghost

Roads a prime example of useless govt. spending!

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 12:58:40 pm »

On the other hand.. while it may get noticed it could be for the wrong reasons.. just thinking out loud.  It is illegal to deface federal property - this actually includes writing on bills.  So could it be seen as "just another way the 4 wheelers don't think the laws apply to them - and here is an example in writing".

I know I know - I'm the eternal pessimist but one should look at things from all sides.

- Shawn

Proud Member: United Four Wheel Drive Associations, The Blue Ribbon Coalition, Colorado Association of 4WD Clubs, Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition, Southwest Four Wheel Drive Association, Texas Motorized Trails Coalition, Trailridge Runners, Southern High Rollers
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »

Shawn

I think the same value could be had without writting on the money too.

Just a thought.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
godevil
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 01:46:07 pm »

Shawn,
I am the person that posted this idea on Pirate.
it is illigal to deface currency.
 But only if rendered unuasable or to try to defraud the amount of the bill.
The tellers at my local bank offered to do this for me cause they thought it was such a neat idea.
It may be frowned on but definatly not going to put you in the local slammer.
don't try to make the $2 bills into $20's or cut holes in the bills and you will be fine.
Thanks.
Shawn Pagan
ghost

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:48:12 am »

godevil... I didn't say it was a bad idea and in fact it might be a good one.. but I think taking the 2 minutes to write a letter about Telico (or other places) is a better one.. it can be copied and sent to all those who vote on the issues and sent to the papers too.

Although anything with a new twist might get more people involved...

- Shawn

Proud Member: United Four Wheel Drive Associations, The Blue Ribbon Coalition, Colorado Association of 4WD Clubs, Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition, Southwest Four Wheel Drive Association, Texas Motorized Trails Coalition, Trailridge Runners, Southern High Rollers
godevil
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:22:02 am »

I think you missed my point.
The letters have been written.The elected officials have turned a deaf ear. There isn't a letter that you could write that wouldn't hit a desk that has a stack of the same letter on it.
An event is planned to take place in the town that will bear the brunt of the economic impact from the closure. Here is a chance to show the business owners,taxpayers and VOTERS of this town what an impact we play in their local economy. Are you going to write each and every one of them a letter?
Are you going to wish your letter into the local paper and hope that it gets front page coverage? Do YOU read the paper? Really? do you read each and every editorial on the back page? Thats where your letter will be,if your lucky.
Here is a chance to go to town ,engage the locals in conversation and bring awareness to the issue. This is a perfect chance to say "We support you,please support us".
I wholeheartedly disagree that writing another letter will do more for our cause than one on one,face to face interaction.
Shawn Pagan
ghost

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:47:11 pm »

I think you missed my point.
The letters have been written.The elected officials have turned a deaf ear. There isn't a letter that you could write that wouldn't hit a desk that has a stack of the same letter on it.
An event is planned to take place in the town that will bear the brunt of the economic impact from the closure. Here is a chance to show the business owners,taxpayers and VOTERS of this town what an impact we play in their local economy. Are you going to write each and every one of them a letter?
Are you going to wish your letter into the local paper and hope that it gets front page coverage? Do YOU read the paper? Really? do you read each and every editorial on the back page? Thats where your letter will be,if your lucky.
Here is a chance to go to town ,engage the locals in conversation and bring awareness to the issue. This is a perfect chance to say "We support you,please support us".
I wholeheartedly disagree that writing another letter will do more for our cause than one on one,face to face interaction.

Well let's not argue about it but I too think you missed my point.. On 1:1 that I absolutly agree - knowing the people and having face to face discussion is ALWAYS the best way to go.   and all avenues should be explored.  Like I said I don't think it is a bad idea I was just tossing out another view - I am game for whatever people want to do.

- Shawn

Shawn Pagan
ghost

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:52:21 pm »

Of course.. I should point out that any new ideas should be tracked down and tried.. in general whatever anyone is doing today isn't really working.  It might be stemming the tide - but it isn't "really" winning any battles.

So in my opinion (for what it's worth) - try it... it might be great and work magic and it might not... but at the very least it is a new idea and it certainly can't hurt.

- Shawn

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Southeast  |  Topic: 2$ for (insert cause here) « previous next »
Jump to: