UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 01:14:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,050 Posts in 3,256 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA Programs  |  Adopt-A-Road / Adopt-A-Trail  |  Topic: Michigan-based Club Adopts over 36,000 acres of National Forest - and gets on TV « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Michigan-based Club Adopts over 36,000 acres of National Forest - and gets on TV  (Read 11165 times)
Pat Brower
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« on: July 05, 2010, 08:50:03 am »

The Two Trackers 4WDC Has been participating in United's Adopt-A-Forest program for many years now.  This year was their 12th Annual Forest Clean Up event.  This year also saw their first time on a State-wide TV program "Michigan Out of Doors".

Please see the MOoD story here:

http://www.michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm

It is the last story, beginning at 19.57 on the timer bar.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Keith Holman
Middle Atlantic Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 03:39:33 pm »

Thanks and Congratulations.

These activities are of benefit to all of us. Often its a tossup as to which is the greater benefit, the actual work or the publicity. Well-done on both!

What are you supposed to do when you see an "endangered" animal eating an "endangered" plant?
--------
Middle Atlantic Four Wheel Drive Association
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »

Congrats and well done.
Many clubs do work like this all the time, but fail to write an article or fully document the work for publication.

Well done on getting this on TV.

I don't think I will be doing to BFG Outstanding Trails list organization next year, but this would be a good nomination for the selection process.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Pat Brower
ghost

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:58:06 pm »

Actually, since you mentioned it . . .

There aren't any 4x4 trails there yet, but because we've developed a good working relationship with the NFS over the course of this event, they've asked us to present them with a proposal for a set.  This is big since there are no 4x4 trails anywhere on the Huron-Manistee NF yet.  This would not only give us trails in our Adoption area, but also set a precedent that we could then use to try to start systems in other areas of Michigan's NFS lands.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:30:11 pm by Pat Brower » Logged

Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:38:54 pm »

What a great opportunity, Pat.   Grin
BTW, I have never heard of United's "Adopt-A-Forest" program.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Pat Brower
ghost

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 09:24:15 pm »

What a great opportunity, Pat.   Grin
BTW, I have never heard of United's "Adopt-A-Forest" program.

Ok, ya got me.

Adopt-A-Road and Adopt-A-Forest are NFS Programs.
United recommends participation in the Adopt-A-Road (being easier to start out with, I would imagine).
We just took it a step further and adopted all the roads in a 36,000 acre area (With our road density, that's around a couple of hundred miles).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:33:26 pm by Pat Brower » Logged

Doug Saul
ghost

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 10:59:04 pm »

GREAT job Pat!

I caught the show here in NW OH early Saturday morning!
Dave Logan
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 05:30:59 am »

Ok, ya got me.

Adopt-A-Road and Adopt-A-Forest are NFS Programs.
United recommends participation in the Adopt-A-Road (being easier to start out with, I would imagine).
We just took it a step further and adopted all the roads in a 36,000 acre area (With our road density, that's around a couple of hundred miles).

Ahhh.  I understand now.  Thanks for your efforts... regardless of the program name.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you talk to them.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:24:53 am »

The club that won the 2010 BFG Outstanding Trails in Washington has been building trails the last two years.
They are not complete, but the cash award will help them continue with this process.

Maybe not for 2011, but if you can start building some trails, get on the nomination list for 2012.
This is also one of the things that BFG looks for when selecting a club and area or trails for the award.

A lot of times, it is more about the club/s that have been working on the trails than the actual trails for the award.

I enjoyed being a part of this process with BFG.
Going to miss putting the list together next year.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Pat Brower
ghost

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:30:11 am »

Thanks for the insight Todd!  Kiss

Sounds like we'll be submitting  . . . in a year or two.

Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 01:43:55 pm »

Pat

I would make sure this club and area is on the nomination list for next year.
The list should start being compiled around Dec, and submitted to BFG in late Jan, early Feb.
I know of some of the selections at KOH as I talked to the BFG folks while there.

Good work.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA Programs  |  Adopt-A-Road / Adopt-A-Trail  |  Topic: Michigan-based Club Adopts over 36,000 acres of National Forest - and gets on TV « previous next »
Jump to: