UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 09:08:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,027 Posts in 3,237 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Wheel-In 2010 Snowshoe Mountain  |  Topic: How to get to Snowshoe Mountain, WV if you trailer your 4x4 « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to get to Snowshoe Mountain, WV if you trailer your 4x4  (Read 3790 times)
Chris Boucher
ghost

« on: July 19, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »

Just wanted to offer some advice passed on to me for those trailering to Snowshoe Mountain - thanks Steve H.!

I have traveled both Route 250 and Route 33 through the mountains of VA/WV.  I was not excited about going on either of those.  For the prerun, we were driving from Chesapeake, VA, and I thought taking Route 219 all the way from Lewisburg, WV was the way to go...straight up the valley.  YIKES!  Don't go that way.  After we arrived and I told my horror story, Steve told me Route 92 was the way to go.  Boy was he right!  It was way easier than taking Route 219 all the way.

Take I-64 to White Sulphur Springs, WV.  Take Route 92 north to Minnehaha Springs, WV (no joke).  Take Route 39 to Marlington, WV.  Take Route 219 to Route 66.  Take Route 66 to Snowshoe Drive and follow the signs.  

Hopefully Jim (or anyone else for that matter) can chime in on a route from the northwest.  
BTW, this was our big rig that weekend...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:47:39 pm by Chris Boucher » Logged

United Life Member
VA4WDA
Tidewater Fourwheelers
Curator - Unofficial Chesapeake Jeep Museum
Jim Mazzola
UFWDA President
ghost

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:15:21 pm »

ATTN: US 250 is a bonafide 'GOAT PATH'! south of Fairmont where I jumped off I-79! There's nothing like jumping off the Interstate and smack dab on a 1-1/2 lane road with load limits of XX tons (worn off the signs so you couldn't tell)  on some of the bridges. Running near 20 tons I was panicy every time a bridge showed up on the horizon. And let's not forget all the friggen construction! Oh, and if your a 'tall boy' like I am, DUCK on your way into Snowshow. There's 13'5" bridge of which I am 13'5" tall................can you say panic stop! I'd also like to know who numbers the dam roads in W Va? I think some one marked the roads and forgot to tell second shift. Then they went and marked them also, with adifferent number!  How on earth can one road be 4 different roads all at once? 219, 250, 55, and 92. For crying out loud, make up your mind. It's no wonder I ended up in Durbin on the other side of the mountain! 3 hours later I finally got turned around and back on track. The good news is I NOW know the best way there. I-79 from the north to US 33 to Elkins, then south on 219/250 fiasco!
jim-kb8ymf
Tony Wheeler
ghost

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »

Start driving your stuff again and you wont have to worry about trailers.   Grin

Jim glad you found your way back the easy way. After that story you told us on the way you came down it isn't any wonder it took you so long.

See everyone in a few weeks.
BEN WOOD
ghost

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:16:34 am »

I believe 33 W out of Harrisonburg is a truck route to Senica Rocks unlike the 250 goat path with 8 mountains to cross before WVA.

1990 Red YJ on Trxus
Tidewater Fourwheelers
Tony Wheeler
ghost

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:04 am »

You are right Ben but, Mr. B only wants level roads in WV which do no exist. 33 is fun to drive but will eat up some tires if you drive fast.  Shocked
Chris Boucher
ghost

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:49:06 am »

Mr. B. actually wants a teleporter so he can load the Jeeps on the trailer at home and then magically appear at Snowshoe seconds later. Grin  Since my sons have not invented that yet, I'll keep to the roads that are a little easier on the tow rig and the driver...nothing wrong with taking a few extra minutes to get there so we can arrive safely. Kiss

United Life Member
VA4WDA
Tidewater Fourwheelers
BEN WOOD
ghost

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 01:55:54 pm »

In a few years, Mr. B will have enough drivers to get all the TOYS where they need to be Wink

1990 Red YJ on Trxus
Tidewater Fourwheelers
Darryl Allen
ghost

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:30:02 am »

We did it last year and one should have good trailer brakes on both axles. 

Darryl Allen
Hard Rock Crawlers
Southern Md
Chris Borkowski
ghost

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:17:26 am »

Any suggestions coming from Baltimore area? I looked at Route 33 off of I-61 and I-79. I-79 looks like it is an easier way but 60 plus miles out of the way. HuhHuhHuh??

05 Grinch Green Rubicon
Lifted, Big Tires
Just my toy.
Marti Pugh
UFWDA Manager, Business Development & Operations
ghost

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 03:56:18 pm »

Chris,

I would take 66 to 81 south and then over on Rt. 33. Someone else may have a better suggestion but that is the way that I would travel from the Baltimore area.

Thanks
Marti
smckeague
ghost

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:07:51 am »

All,
This is our first trip to Snowshoe. We are coming from Central PA with a trailer. Mapquest says to come down 99/220 to 68 and then 219 all the way. After reading the posts, I'm a little worried about this route. Does it make more sense to go over to 79 and then 33, 250/219? Or, as is suggested on the Snowshoe website down 81 to Staunton then 250/42/39 and 219 North. That way just seems so round-about. Any suggestions?
Shelley
Chris Boucher
ghost

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 05:38:40 pm »

I understand I-79 to Route 33 to Route 219 is the best way to go.

United Life Member
VA4WDA
Tidewater Fourwheelers
Tony Wheeler
ghost

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »

Ok Marti asked me to put this up for you. I am sure you know how to get down 99 to Hancock MD then head south on 522. That will take you to Winchester where you get on 37 it is the 1st light after the apple barn. That will take you to 81. In Harrisonburg get on 33 and head west. I say that because i know if i was dragging a trailer i would rather drag it across 33 than 250. In Franklin head south on 220 until you cross rt 250. Then you should head to the right on 84 over to 92N that will turn into 28N. Once on there take 66 into cass and follow it over to the Inn. Do not go up the first entrance to snowshoe if you are looking for the Inn.

I run these back roads alot heading south to see the family so you shoouldn't have any problems. Me personally if i had the day to waste i would try that first route. I run on 28 for a while heading to the wifes. Sure there are tuns in it but, it stays pretty low in the valleys most of the time.

Tony
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Wheel-In 2010 Snowshoe Mountain  |  Topic: How to get to Snowshoe Mountain, WV if you trailer your 4x4 « previous next »
Jump to: