UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 07:03:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
13,953 Posts in 3,174 Topics by 970 Members
Latest Member: Mactron
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Wheel-In 2010 Snowshoe Mountain  |  Topic: Snowshoe after action report « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Snowshoe after action report  (Read 3451 times)
Tony Wheeler

« on: August 15, 2010, 01:51:50 pm »

OK i know there was plenty of pics taken this weekend. So lets see some of them. Also give us your likes and dislikes about the event. I had a good time running everything concerning the trails. Had an awesome group with a little of everything in it.

Big thanks to Marti for getting everything set-up and running a great event.

Oh and also you can't forget the job Craig at Quadratec and snowshoe resort did. A huge thanks to both of them.

Tony
Tony Wheeler

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:27 am »

34 views and not one comment.  Come on folks lets hear what we did right and what we need to fix. Here is a link to my clubs pics from up here in WV.

http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22943&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Tony
TJinWV

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:58 am »

We had a great time, but for the next raffle, shake the bucket.   Grin

Seriously, though, my only suggestion for next time would be to consider having a few different levels of trail groups.  I know why you did it the way it was Tony, but I think we would have seen a lot more of the trails if we were split up a little differently.  We had a guy on 38s, and we had a guy in a stock grand cherokee with highway tires.  God bless him, but with the rain, Jay was having trouble just getting started sometimes.  And stuff that was a challenge for us mildly-built guys, Tony just laughed at.  I know you had a trail for the big guys, but maybe at least have a separate trail for the stockers, too, so us medium-built guys can keep moving, and it minimizes the time needed to sit and watch from the bypasses.

All in all, we had a great time, at much less expense than the Jeep Jamboree events.  Thanks to Marti and everyone else for organizing it, and making it so affordable.  Did I mention how much cheaper it was than the Jeep Jamboree events?!  Smiley  BTW Marti, since I'm sure you have no idea who I am, we were the family that got off the ski lift in front of you and walked through the village with you.
Darryl Allen

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:50:49 am »

We had a great time.  This was our second year at Snow Shoe and it is always worth the 7 hour drive for the wheeling and the weather.  I do not think there was anything done wrong Tony.  My suggested improvement would be to break the groups down into like sizes/skill levels etc.  I know this is easier said than done or give the folks a choice.  We brought two overbuilt Jeeps but we came knowing the set up and the terrain.  So no problems.  We'll be back next year!!

Thanks to Marti for pulling off a great event.  Trail guides, we appreciate your hard work and long hours.

Here is a link to my shutterfly account of our group

http://allenfamilyjeeps.shutterfly.com/402

Thanks
Darryl
Hard Rock Crawlers, Southern MD

Darryl Allen
Hard Rock Crawlers
Southern Md
Tony Wheeler

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:31:08 pm »

So do you think if ask the questions on the entry about the vehicles and then use that info to build the group lists? Not a bad idea but, what we ran into this year was that everyone wanted to run with there friends. So we let them as much as we could. I mean look at my group i had 7-8 extreme guys ready to run anything you gave them to 5 JK's with at the most 33's. i was able to keep everyone happy but, then again the JK guys didn't want in the major rocks they did however run the inner rocks on the substation. I dont think i had anyone take the easy by-pass.

We will keep working to get it better.

Keep them ideas coming folks.
Ron Allen

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:20:12 pm »

Our third wheel-in and first time too Snowshoe. Had a great time with good friends. Nice job by the Guides, felt good to be a participant for once. Marti , nice job as always.
Ron and Arlene Allen

P.S.  Marti please e-mail me @ Duke2508@zoominternet.net
DavidJK

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 07:19:34 pm »

Photos up. Vids soon.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2048585&id=115200427&l=696baf327b

No Facebook account needed to view these.

-David
DavidJK

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:17 pm »

Vids

Charlie in Pig Pen:

http://www.facebook.com/v/535243776173

JK on a muddy Climb:

http://www.facebook.com/v/535245148423

-David
TJinWV

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:21:55 pm »

So do you think if ask the questions on the entry about the vehicles and then use that info to build the group lists? Not a bad idea but, what we ran into this year was that everyone wanted to run with there friends. So we let them as much as we could. I mean look at my group i had 7-8 extreme guys ready to run anything you gave them to 5 JK's with at the most 33's. i was able to keep everyone happy but, then again the JK guys didn't want in the major rocks they did however run the inner rocks on the substation. I dont think i had anyone take the easy by-pass.

We will keep working to get it better.

Keep them ideas coming folks.

Yeah, some general guidelines so people know what to expect - like extreme would be 38s and 2 lockers, hard would be 35s and at least 1 locker, moderate would be 33s with lockers recommended, and stock would be 31s and below with no lockers (those are just examples).  If you want to wheel with your buddies, you need to drop to the lowest level your buddies are.  A person could bump up one level if bypasses are available, at the discretion of the trail guides.  So if someone wanted to run hard with 33s and 2 lockers, it would be up to the guides, but he shouldn't be on the extreme trails.

That was always my biggest complaint at the JJUSA events (other than the cost, of course).  The guides were told pretty much to let people run what they want, as long as they know the risk.  So we ended up with a stock TJ on stock 30" tires on a level 5-6 (out of 10) trail, and he ripped both passenger side valve stems off about 500 yards into the trail.  So he had to borrow a 31" spare from someone else, and we would spend 30-45 minutes or so getting him through those small rock gardens that everyone else pretty much would walk through. 
Charlie

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:55:53 am »

Yeah, some general guidelines so people know what to expect - like extreme would be 38s and 2 lockers, hard would be 35s and at least 1 locker, moderate would be 33s with lockers recommended, and stock would be 31s and below with no lockers (those are just examples).  If you want to wheel with your buddies, you need to drop to the lowest level your buddies are.  A person could bump up one level if bypasses are available, at the discretion of the trail guides.  So if someone wanted to run hard with 33s and 2 lockers, it would be up to the guides, but he shouldn't be on the extreme trails.

That was always my biggest complaint at the JJUSA events (other than the cost, of course).  The guides were told pretty much to let people run what they want, as long as they know the risk.  So we ended up with a stock TJ on stock 30" tires on a level 5-6 (out of 10) trail, and he ripped both passenger side valve stems off about 500 yards into the trail.  So he had to borrow a 31" spare from someone else, and we would spend 30-45 minutes or so getting him through those small rock gardens that everyone else pretty much would walk through. 

this does happen, but when i help do the MOR jambo, there are times you can have a rig on 35's with two lockers, and they push hard (like the white xj with me)  that stay with the bigger jeeps.  It's hard to determine what should go and what shouldn't, and usually its at the guide's discretion. 

i knew what the terrain was going there this time, so we had a good time, i think there is a lot, and i mean ALOT of opportunity for some really good harder trails on the turkey trott side of the mountain, if you guys need any help cutting them, let me know, and i can get some people down that way. 

Charlie
Tom

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 06:49:43 pm »

Had a blast again this year. Thanks to everyone's hard work who made the event possible. Agree with what everyone is saying regarding trail level grouping, etc. Darryl and I both opted to stick with our fellow club members vs heading out with the big boys this time. Looked like they had fun too from the pics I've seen. Lots of harder trail potential out there as Charlie mentioned. Not sure if it'll matter after this year, unfortunately..

Oh, had fun at the raffle too Grin  Big thanks to Craig and Quadratec and all the other supporting vendors. Very cool.
Paul Hittie
Just a guy with a Jeep!

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:59:24 am »

I am glad to see all of the positive comments - and even more pleased to see how many of you posting comments are new to the UFWDA forums.  Sorry I missed it, maybe if there is a next time at Snowshoe I'll be able to get down there.

Member - What Lies Beyond Jeep Club
VP - Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Doug Saul

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 08:39:08 pm »

GREAT comments, all helpful for those involved in planning and executing.
Sorry to miss the opportunity, bummer on the future.
We can only hope to get back there in a few years??
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  UFWDA WHEEL-IN  |  Wheel-In 2010 Snowshoe Mountain  |  Topic: Snowshoe after action report « previous next »
Jump to: