UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:55:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,049 Posts in 3,255 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: 2008 and 2009 membership meeting location - call for presenentations « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 and 2009 membership meeting location - call for presenentations  (Read 2754 times)
Carla Boucher
UFWDA Executive Director & Legal Counsel
ghost

« on: January 26, 2007, 03:05:07 pm »

Hello.  The UFWDA board of directors (BOD) will be discussing proposed locations for the 2008 and the 2009 annual membership meeting.  UFWDA standard operating procedures require the 2008 meeting be held east of the Mississippi and the 2009 meeting be held West of the Mississippi.   

At this time, the board is asking for all interested delegates or members to submit proposals for meeting locations. 

Such proposals must be submitted on this forum no later than March 1, 2007. 

The criteria utilized by the BOD for locations presented to the delegates at the 2006 meeting are as follows:

1)   Determine a location that possesses the following characteristics
a.   Consideration of the ease and lower cost of utilizing a metropolitan airport
b.   Locations East of Mississippi in 2008, 2010, 2012
c.   Locations West of Mississippi in 2009, 2011, 2013
d.   The location would be a change from the location the last time it was in the East/West respectively.  i.e. if it was held in TN in 2006 then chose a location in the East that is NOT in TN for 2008;  if it was held in CO in 2007 then chose a location in the West that is NOT in CO for 2009.
e.   Available for three consecutive days, either Mon., Tue., Wed.;  Wed. Thurs. Fri., or Thurs. Fri. Sat. for example. 
f.   Attractive to UFWDA either because of known member associations or a lack of membership and the opportunity to attract membership
g.             Availability of free transportation from airport to hotel
h.             Availability of hotel to provide on-line room booking from reserved block. 

2)   Get price quotes for the location for the following items
a.   Room rate for a block of 35 rooms
b.   Cost, if any, of meeting space for 75 people if 20 rooms are reserved at that hotel.  The same meeting space will be utilized all 3 days
c.   Cost of providing food and beverages
i.   Lunch for 75 people
ii.   Dinner on third evening (Wed. or Fri). for 75 people
iii.   Morning beverages for 75 people
iv.   Afternoon beverages for 75 people
v.   Afternoon snack (consisting of cookies or other lite fair) for 75 people
vi.   Ask whether lunch and dinner are provided in the same space as meeting or a different space
d.   Cost, if any, of technical support for meeting, which may include, among other things
i.   Blank wall for power point presentations or screen
ii.   Flip charts
iii.   Tape or thumb tacks for hanging notes
iv.   Microphone
v.   Podium
vi.   There is no need for estimate on projector because UFWDA owns its own PPT projector for computers.
vii.   Whether any of these support items may be provided by UFWDA at no charge by the hotel.  Some hotels will allow us to bring in our own stuff, others require use of their items exclusively.
e.   Terms of contract, i.e. when payments must be made, if a down payment is required at time of signing of contract, latest date at which rooms are still available (like some hotels might know from experience that if you don’t block them 1 year or 2 years in advance they won’t be available)

3)   Prepare registration support information
a.   Registration form
b.   Registratin Fee:  Determine minimum fee necessary to be charged for registration in order to pass on the cost of the meeting to the participants.  For example, if it costs $5,000 to pay for all this and there will be approximately 50 registrations, the minimum cost would be $100 per registrant.

In 2008 the meeting is required to be held East of the Mississippi.  Prior Eastern locations include:
2006 – Tennessee
2004 – Pennsylvania
2002 – Canada
2000 – Tennessee
1998 – Michigan
1996 – Virginia
1994 - New Jersey
1992 - Maryland

In 2009 the meeting is required to be held West of the Mississippi.  Prior Western locations include:
2007 – Colorado
2005 – Montana
2003 – Arizona
2001 – Farmington
1999 – Colorado
1997 – Nevada
1995 – British Columbia, Canada
1993 – Arizona
1991 – Montana
1989 – Washington

If you need any assistance with the criteria or in developing your presentation please contact Carla Boucher at attorney@ufwda.org
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:51:09 pm by Carla Boucher » Logged

Carla Boucher, Attorney
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
P.O. Box 15696
Chesapeake, VA  23328
(757) 546-7969
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs
ghost

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:10:29 pm »

Carla,

The Northeast Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs, Inc. is ready to submit our proposal for the 2008 Convention. Please review the attached proposal and sample registration form. Please note that the registration form is only a sample and we will most likely make adjustments as we gather additional details while working with the UFWDA regarding the convention.

We would be happy to answer any questions regarding our proposal and if you have any special requests please let me know and I would be happy to look into it for you!

Thank you,
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 12:17:46 pm by Tammy Lynn Van Gemert » Logged

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
Executive Vice President/Chief Editor, Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs, Inc.
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
http://www.DeepWoodsExtreme.com
http://www.nea4wd.org
Chris Hannis
Twin City Bushwackers
ghost

President: W4WDA

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:39:08 pm »

I'm slightly overwhelmed by the costs, quoted. I'm just a po boy from Wisconsin, where if you book enough rooms the meeting rooms are Free and an Expensive dinner Family style is 15 dollars a plate. I do understand that costs vary in different parts of the country, since my work has me travel the US considerable.

Sorry I mean now disrespect I'm just voicing the concerns that I will hear from the membership I represent.

Sincerely

Chris Hannis
President Wisconsin 4 Wheel Drive Association
and United Delegate Twin City Bushwackers.

"You get what you put in and people get what they desirve" Kidd Rock
Chris Boucher
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 10:03:11 pm »

Thanks for putting a proposal together.  I like the location as it is my parents hometown (its been quite a few years since I visited Nashua).  Remind me what the ocean water temp will be in July as I stroll along the beach?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 10:07:44 pm by Chris Boucher » Logged
kf6zpl
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:43:48 pm »

Well, as another one that does see a lot of hotels and restuarants, the prices are within the range of expected rates during summer season.

I am curious as to what number of hotel nights are required to get that rate?

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
ghost

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 10:11:50 am »

There is no minimum number of nights required. The rate is the same for any length of stay.

While we realize the rates may seem high (and I can relate as I went to school in Wisconsin and I myself am a back country girl), I think they are pretty average and I know for this hotel the rates we received are at quite a discount, you will be getting alot for your dollar. Their accommodations will provide for everything you will need and the food is remarkable. For our region, the rates we quoted are pretty typical unless you wish to stay at a Motel 6 or something. We realize everyone has a different budget and keep in mind our proposal is inclusive of the conference. Anyone is more than welcome to find other accommodations for their trip out and we'd be happy to make suggestions that might be more within your budget if that is the case. For Conference purposes we quoted a few different venues and the Crowne Plaza had the most to offer, were the most professional to work with, and provided what we felt to be the best deals.

I'm afraid the ocean temps. will probably still be body numbing even in July but it is worth the wade!  Smiley

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
kf6zpl
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 10:16:29 am »

Thanks for the information.

My questions was based on concern that the prices were quoted with an assumption a designated number of room nights would be booked.  If that number were not met, a higher rate would apply.

Jim Mazzola
UFWDA President
ghost

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 01:07:49 pm »

Tammy,
What provision can we expect for those of us who will 'motorhome' it? I assume 'dry dock' parking be allowed in the parking lot? If not, What distance can we expect to have to travel to find a campground?
Thanks for putting together atrip to the northeast as we have been wanting to go that way for many years now.
Also from a registration standpoint, we are not by definition 'Delegates', but rather Ambassador Members of UFWDA, How would we register? We will be attending the meetings.
Jim Mazzola
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
ghost

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:36 pm »

John, The price quoted for rooms is good as long as the block is reserved for and is a locked in rate.

I wanted to add to my earlier post. We really would like everyone to have the opportunity to attend if our location is selected so we are more than happy to assist those with smaller budgets. Our Association operates on a small budget as well so we know what it is like. We figured that everyone has at least a year and a half to make provisions to attend. We also figured that since we have planned everything through one vendor that our proposal would be more attractive because it would reduce, and in most cases eliminate, the need for transporation costs-outside of airfare. Our Association will be working on fundraising options to offset some of the costs, as we have already offered to absorb some of the Conference costs such as necessary supplies and such. This may result in discounts and similar offerings as the Conference draws closer but for now the proposal we have submitted stands as is.

Jim, I am not sure what options exist for motorhomes but I will check into that this week and respond. A couple options may be to camp at the site(s) we will be offering for the wheeling excusion on Saturday and these would be about an hour from the hotel. We have access to a couple campgrounds that do accept motorhomes. They may be a little more primitive than what you are used to but with a motorhome I'm sure you're not worried about the ammenities. There are also some local campgrounds in the area of the hotel and I will check on those this week. I am not sure if there is a "dry dock" option or not as most of the hotel parking consists of covered spaces in a garage.
I'm not sure how Ambassador Members have been handled in the past but I think we would probably include you in the same registration category as "Delegates" if you are interested in receiving the same benefits such as inclusion in meals. I guess I would look to the UFWDA BOD for input on this topic.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
Kathleen Snyder
ghost

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:01:59 am »

If the campground is an hour away, and the hotel parking is covered, maybe there is a Walmart close.  They usually allow motorhomes to stay overnight in their parking lots.  I don't know if that holds true to the Northeast, since I have never been there, but it is a thought.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
ghost

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 11:50:37 am »

The Crowne Plaza can accommodate a limited number of motorhomes that won't be requiring hook-ups. If you need hook-ups the closest campground I found is the Field & Stream RV Park in Brookline NH which is about ten miles west of Nashua. It is not far from the hotel at all-according to Rand McNally it is approximately 34 minutes from the hotel. You can view their website for details. http://www.fsttp.com If this does not meet your needs I can keep looking.

If you feel comfortable setting up camp in a parking lot, somewhere other than the hotel, that is up to you but I don't feel comfortable making those arrangements for anybody. There is a small technology park encompassing the hotel, a local mini mall within walking distance with a large parking space, and plenty of other options like that right around the hotel.

Could someone inform me as to when the 2008 location will be decided upon?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:56:12 am by Tammy Lynn Van Gemert » Logged

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
Jim Mazzola
UFWDA President
ghost

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 12:15:11 pm »

Thanks Tammy.
Setting up in a parking lot is the almost the norm for most 'motorhomers'. There's usually not to many of us so I wouldn't suspect this to be a big issue, I just needed to know if they had ANY outdoor parking where we can park.
Kathleen, I did consider Walmart and we may look to that as an option. I have my NEW humongous 'Walmart Finder' that I just got this year. I'll check tonight to see what's available in the area as a second choice.
I would also suspect if I Google map the hotel, if their in a reasonabally populated area we could get a pretty good idea of the layout of the parking in the area. I'll have to follow up on that later. All depends on if NEA4WDC gets the nod.
Jim
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
ghost

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 12:22:26 pm »

In that case there are two local Wal-Marts. There is one in Hudson NH which I would not recommend because their parking lot is tight. There is a closer Super Wal-Mart in Amherst that is maybe ten minutes from the hotel. They would be able to provide plenty of room as they have a Super  Grin large parking area. The hotel is definitely in a populated area so I am sure you would not have any trouble finding space.

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
Carla Boucher
UFWDA Executive Director & Legal Counsel
ghost

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 04:12:53 pm »

Could someone inform me as to when the 2008 location will be decided upon?

Tammy, the decision will be made by a vote of the delegates at the 2007 meeting in Colorado on July 25-27, 2007.  The timing of this decision will exceed the June date you reference in your presentation. 

Your presentation was wonderful!

Carla

Carla Boucher, Attorney
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
P.O. Box 15696
Chesapeake, VA  23328
(757) 546-7969
Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
ghost

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 11:19:45 am »

The hotel is going to hold the details of the proposal as long as they can. If someone else calls to book the dates we are looking for she will let me know so we can decide what action we want to take at that point. So let's just hope nobody else wants those dates!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:12:51 pm by Tammy Lynn Van Gemert » Logged

Tammy Lynn Van Gemert
95 XJ aka Dream Angel
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: 2008 and 2009 membership meeting location - call for presenentations « previous next »
Jump to: