UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:05:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,046 Posts in 3,252 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Southwest  |  Topic: Urgent help for Oceano Dunes SVRA needed « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Urgent help for Oceano Dunes SVRA needed  (Read 840 times)
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President
ghost

« on: May 15, 2011, 05:13:14 am »

The following is a message from President Jim Suty, Friends of Oceano Dunes.

The US Fish & Wildlife Service is proposing to declare a large part of the Oceano Dunes SVRA as critical habitat for the Western Snowy Plover that will eliminate OHV activity! This would greatly affect access to the dunes - PLEASE ACT NOW.

You can use the online comment form here:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FWS-R8-ES-2010-0070-0001

Or-

Print the letter below, sign, date, print your name and address. Mail to USFW (address at the top of the page). Letters MUST be received prior to 5/23/2011...therefore mail by 5/16/11....we have days only. Please send to
friends and distribute wide and far.  Thanks Jim Suty.

By U.S. Mail

Public Comments Processing,
Attn: FWS-R8-ES-2010-0070
Division of Policy and Directives Management
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222
Arlington, VA 22203

Re: Opposition to Inclusion of Oceano Dunes SVRA in the Critical Habitat Designation for the Western Snowy Plover

Dear Fish and Wildlife Service:
I am a frequent visitor to Oceano Dunes SVRA in Pismo Beach, California, where I enjoy one of the most unique off-roading experiences in the world.  I have just learned that the Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to declare a significant part of Oceano Dunes to be critical habitat for the western snowy plover.

I am confused by this proposal since I know that in 2005 the Service specifically excluded Oceano Dunes from plover critical habitat because of the severe impacts such a regulation would have on the local and regional economy in San Luis Obispo County.

Miles of riding area have already been off-limits to off-road recreation even though this is not critical habitat.  The plover seems to be thriving with all of the conservation measures that State Parks currently has in place.  I understand that State Parks is planning even more.  In light of all this, what
additional benefit can adding the critical habitat regulation have?  It seems like it will just be used by extremists to try to shut down the park to off-road recreation.  

I OPPOSE designating Oceano Dunes SVRA as Western Snowy Plover critical habitat.  It should remain excluded for economic reasons as it has been for the past 6 years without harm to the plover.

Sincerely,
Name:   ________________ Date _________

Print Name: _________________________
Address: ___________________________
City ____________ State: _______ Zip ____        

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Southwest  |  Topic: Urgent help for Oceano Dunes SVRA needed « previous next »
Jump to: