UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:07:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,046 Posts in 3,252 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: Member club dues? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Member club dues?  (Read 1550 times)
Scott Hatch
NorthEast Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs
ghost

« on: March 27, 2007, 08:32:29 am »

How does an Association capture a member club that joins directly to United?

We have several clubs that receive the invoice from United and the club pays directly to United.

Scott Hatch
President NorthEast Association of 4WD Clubs
shatch@nea4wd.org
Carla Boucher
UFWDA Executive Director & Legal Counsel
ghost

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:10:44 am »

Scott, UFWDA continues to promote membership at all levels.  We encourage people to join clubs, clubs to join associations, and associations to join UFWDA.  However, UFWDA allows each of these "levels" to join UFWDA directly, acknowledging that some people don't have clubs in their vicinity, some clubs don't have associations in their vicinity (Wyoming for instance - a club would have to join Montana 4WDA, Southwest 4WDA, Idaho Association).  Also UFWDA knows that some people are not into the "social" factor of club and association membership. We often hear from them that they don't join clubs because it's too political.  As UFWDA provides direct membership for people and clubs we have tried to be diligent through the years to continue to support membership at the local, state, and regional levels. 

UFWDA understands, and sympathizes with, the age-old questions clubs and associations must face, because UFWDA faces it too - What have you done for me lately?  People rightfully want to know what the club has done for their money.  Clubs want to know what the association has done with their money.  And associations want to know what UFWDA is doing for their money.

So, ultimately the answer to an association capturing a member club that joins directly to UFWDA is to promote the association and answer the clubs question - what has the association done for me lately? 

UFWDA has several programs in place to assist associations answer this question.  We have built on-the-ground projects to aid associations in keeping lands open - whether state-managed or federally-managed.  For instance, the adopt-a-road program can be utlized with state and federal agencies.
http://www.ufwda.org/adopt-a-road.htm
 The Volunteer Trail Patrol can be used by four wheel drive enthusiasts whether recreation on private land, state-managed, or federally managed land. 
http://www.ufwda.org/trailpatrol.htm
The UFWDA 4WD Safety and Awareness Program is an eductional program. 
http://www.ufwda.org/4wdawareness.htm
These programs were created specificially to protect access through road and trail restoration, self-policing, and education, particularly to novice four wheelers.  When associations involve themselves in these programs they are providing clubs with benefits that some clubs may or may not be able to carry out themselves.  There is a big benefit to pooling the resources of an association to make these programs easier for clubs to navigate through. 

Finally, the best access protection tool an association can offer prospective member clubs is money for on-the-ground closure fights and preventative closure measures.  UFWDA is proposing to send money to our member organizations through a program called the Organizational Incentive Program (OIP).  This program gives $3 from every UFWDA membership to an organization of the members' choice.

Even with the programs mentioned above an association can only capture a member club that joins UFWDA if the association can effectively communicate association benefits to prospective member clubs. 

If I've missed the heart of your question let me know.  I'll be happy to give it another whirl. 

Carla   

Carla Boucher, Attorney
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
P.O. Box 15696
Chesapeake, VA  23328
(757) 546-7969
Scott Hatch
NorthEast Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs
ghost

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 09:43:20 am »

Although it was not the heart of my question it was still a great answer

The point of my question is in relation to the percentage of members that join United within an Association when the club joins United directly instead of through the Association. Many of our clubs receive an invoice from United directly for their dues which they promptly pay to United.

So the question is how does an Association capture these clubs that pay directly to United when they are also a member of an United Association?

Scott Hatch
President NorthEast Association of 4WD Clubs
shatch@nea4wd.org
Steve Jackson
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 04:42:48 pm »

Even with the programs mentioned above an association can only capture a member club that joins UFWDA if the association can effectively communicate association benefits to prospective member clubs. 

Unfortunately, this is what it comes down to.  Proving benefit.  In a perfect scenario, individuals, clubs, and businesses would join the local association and UFWDA because it's the right thing to do and it provides us with greater resources for an organized representation.  Since we don't live in perfect scenarios, we have to buy support.  Hmm, just like the Democrats are doing with their pullout bill.  Legislators won't support it?  Throw in a few million bucks of wasteful spending for their district, and ask them again.  The OIP sounds like the same concept, and I love it!  I'm an "ends justifies the means" type of seller.

Steve Jackson
Past President, Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
http://www.u4wda.org
http://www.utahoffroad.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: Member club dues? « previous next »
Jump to: