UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:04:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,077 Posts in 3,274 Topics by 973 Members
Latest Member: lizwirgau
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Northwest  |  Topic: rocky mountain ecosystem protection act « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: rocky mountain ecosystem protection act  (Read 2035 times)
Rob St. Clair
UFWDA Past President
ghost

« on: April 23, 2007, 10:00:53 am »

Be warned people, the Alliance for the Wild Rockies found a Rep from New York to introduce this in the House.I doubt it has much chance of going far, but every year it gathers more momentum and some day it is likely to really bite us. It is a multi state Wilderness bill covering MILLIONS of acres. Pretty mh would put all "ROADLESS" areas into designated Wilderness and would destroy the economy as well as recreation opertunities in the North West.
Rob
kf6zpl
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 10:33:15 am »

I saw another note about it that proposal.

I would like to underscore one significant point. Like the Red Rock Wilderness bill, this plus somw others have been introduced in each legislative session for several years.

The last session (2005) the Red Rock proposal had 140+ sponsors. This introduction has about 122 sponsors. And, more important, NONE of the Utah delegation have signed on as sponsors.

The fact that none of the Montana delegation supprot the proposal indicates there will possibly be little action.

That does not mean this should be ignored. It is important for everyone to let their elected representatives know that you (as an individual) do not support legislation that will eliminate your opportunity for recreation.

These proposals are among over 30 wilderness bills that are (or will be) introduced in this congressional session.

They ARE NOT the most critical issues. Each BLM and Forest Service unit is entering a land (forest) management plan revision. Within the revision process, many miles of existing routes WILL BE ELIMINATED. We stand to lose more routes through the planning process than through wilderness designation.

Check any web site for reference to "travel management" and "route designation".

I would offer a phrase to anyone considering comments on any of the proposed wilderness bills:

I am opposed to the legislation because it does not acknowledge all pre-existing rights and rights held by state, local, and tribal governmental entities.

It is up to you -- become involved or lose your opprotunity....
Melissa Simmons
ghost

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:19:09 pm »

Even time I see this type of across the board message, I wonder how can we take that, seeminly simple message, and turn it into a campaign to get all of our UFWDA members "singing the same song out of the same hymnbook"??

Along the lines of the "Click It or Ticket" seat belt campaign, "See the USA in your Chevrolet", "Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires" USFS slogans?  I keep hoping for an AH-HA moment.....

Just hoping  Undecided

Rob St. Clair
UFWDA Past President
ghost

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:51:08 pm »

how about:  Wilderness, it dosen't just happen.  or Wilderness-LAND OF NO USES. There must be something better out there, I just havn't found it in 29 years of searching (no I am not 29 years old, that is how long I been a member of M4X4A and United)
Rob
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President
ghost

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 08:14:32 pm »

Wilderness, how do I get there?

Rob, I would have sworn you were only 29!

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
Melissa Simmons
ghost

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 08:13:10 am »

Rob, I agree, I keep searching too and just haven't hit upon it yet.

I'm wondering if doing a "contest" in conjunction with the Voice might be viable?  Seems to me if we put this out there to everyone, offering up I don't know maybe a lifetime membershi..or something that doesn't really cost us a lot of money..we might be able to garner the collective creative mindset we have in our membership base and then have something great to utilize in many different ways.

Just thinking out loud here folks.....

~M~
Rob St. Clair
UFWDA Past President
ghost

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:05:31 am »

Melissa, not a bad idea. Maybe something our PR Director could handle or some other energetic volenteer from out there in cyber land?. Might even get the magazines to participate, this could be huge if played right.
Peter, I guess your trips to the states have harmed your eye sight thinking I am 29.But thanks for the compliment, althoegh when I think back 29 was not all that good to me.
Keith Holman
Middle Atlantic Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:42:11 am »

Rob and Peter: Perhpas we need to clarify Celsius or Fahrenheit instead of just throwing numbers around?

To keep it on topic: The "No Trespassing" signs that were popular during the initial activity on the USFS Roadless Rule seemed to catch some attention.

What are you supposed to do when you see an "endangered" animal eating an "endangered" plant?
--------
Middle Atlantic Four Wheel Drive Association
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 12:35:04 pm »

Build an Allegiance to our Wilderness, and pledge that Allegiance!

Just a take from a quote from Teddy Roosevelt.
Here is most of the whole thing.
"We have room for but one flag (in this country)...and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is to the American people."

"...this is predicated upon the persons becoming en every facet an American and nothing but an American....There can be no divided allegiance here."

Find a way to change a famous quote to include wilderness access in it, and make it fit for our needs.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Northwest  |  Topic: rocky mountain ecosystem protection act « previous next »
Jump to: