UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 10:55:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,050 Posts in 3,256 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: Newsletter question in regards to new Membership policies and cost « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newsletter question in regards to new Membership policies and cost  (Read 3001 times)
Scott Hatch
NorthEast Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs
ghost

« on: March 05, 2006, 10:05:42 am »

So this year an organization pays $1000 if all its members if all its members are not United members. I understand and realize legislation and the operating costs are not cheap. I know some Associations were getting the same support for $100 from United while others were paying thousands. For the record the NEA was one of these Associations only paying $100 and I support the raise to $1000.

My question pertains to the newsletter distribution. In previous years an Association could join for only $100 but receive 10 newsletters.

Why do we only recieve 2 newsletters now when our dues have increased by to $1000?

Is there more an emphasis being placed an electronic newsletter?

The voice is one of the few newsletter I like to recieve caveman style  Grin

Scott Hatch
President NorthEast Association of 4WD Clubs
shatch@nea4wd.org
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 11:14:48 am »

Scott the reason an organization received 10 newsletters was because the $100 membership was designed for a minimum of 10 members - ie in order to apply for the very base membership what the organization was reallyh doing was "claiming" that it only had 10 members (or at least only 10 members interested in joining United).  Therefore those 10 members recevied 1 copy of the Voice each.

The new structure doesn't say that an Organization be required to have any number of members to join - any organization can join at that rate.  And by joining as an organization they receive 2 copies of the Voice for their offices.  There is no listing of members who get a newsletter.

The Voice is seen as a benefit of membership - one that individual can chose to pay for a subscription to (so to speak) and they can do that thru their (a) fully paid Association for $10, (b) thru and member organization for $15 or as an individual for $25.

- Shawn

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Scott Hatch
NorthEast Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs
ghost

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:10:46 pm »

I understand the why and agree with it, just wondering on the low number of newsletters offered.

Scott Hatch
President NorthEast Association of 4WD Clubs
shatch@nea4wd.org
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 06:38:28 pm »

Newsletters are seen as a benefit of individual membership.   A number of Associations joined who only had them sent to their corp office - po box etc.  Those newsletters were not distributed to anyone so they felt 2 was as good as 10.  It was really a consensus discussion.  I guess the question would be one more for the delegates in general.

Also I think it was done as an incentive for people to purchase their own individual membership and to get the Assocaition to push their members to join...

- Shawn

Kimberly Hayes
Oklahoma Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

Kimberly Hayes - President, OKFWDA

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 09:46:18 am »

SO......as I understand it then, an Association who has, let's say, 2 member clubs and seventy five individual members and forwarded that list to UFWDA, would still only receive the two newsletters?   Is this correct?
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 10:06:10 am »

SO......as I understand it then, an Association who has, let's say, 2 member clubs and seventy five individual members and forwarded that list to UFWDA, would still only receive the two newsletters?   Is this correct?

No - well maybe it depends on how they join. 

If they joined only as a base Organization with no members they would receive 2 copies of the Voice (they would pay $1000). 

If they join with some of their members and those members pay the $15 per member then each member would get a voice - let's say they have 75 members and 10 join UFWDA ($1000 + $15x10=$1150) then each of those 10 members would get their own newsletter sent to the address supplied by the organization. 

However is all their 75 members join then they would pay $10 per member and the $1000 fee would be waived.  ($10x75=$750) and each of those 75 member would receive a newsletter.

If you need furthur explanation please get with Melissa Simmons - membership@ufwda.org as she should be able to provide you with some documentation or additional explanation. Or another member of the UFWDA Board of Directors.  This was put in place by the Delegates Representing the Associations at the 2005 Annual Convention.    Board of Directors contact info can be found here: http://www.ufwda.org/bod.htm

Hope that helps.

- Shawn
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:15:12 am by Shawn Pagan » Logged

Kimberly Hayes
Oklahoma Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

Kimberly Hayes - President, OKFWDA

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 10:18:46 am »

Thanks for clearing that up.
George O. Thomas Jr.
Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 09:52:00 pm »

In the Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association all of our members belong to United. My goal for the next couple of years is to get more new members. To do this as President of the Association I am challenging our members to bring in atleast 3 new members. If we can get the ball rolling I think it will have a snowball effect and if that happens we could double or triple our members. The past 3 years I have gotten several families to join a club or IFWDA &/or UNITED. To me that is our best answer to the problem, We need to spread the word and get more people involved. I may be a dreamer but I think we can make it happen just by inviting our friends neighbors and fellow 4X4 owners to join. Remember back when you first joined a 4X4 club how excited you was, The new people who join today are just as excited and are looking for guidence. It is up to us to offer it. The Safety ? Awareness program is a good starting point to get new members and to build relationships with local Auto Dealers and Parts Stores. All we need to do is get involved and make it happen.
Carla Boucher
UFWDA Executive Director & Legal Counsel
ghost

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 11:15:17 am »

That's great advice George.  I believe you are correct about how much we can improve membership numbers by asking our friends to join.  Statistically there are millions of 4x4 motor vehicle owners, yet a very small percentage of them join four wheel drive clubs.  I think it has more to do with not knowing about them then it does with not wanting or needing them because they don't utilize their 4WD.  Thanks for all your work in IN George!

Happy New Year!

Carla

Carla Boucher, Attorney
United Four Wheel Drive Associations

Carla Boucher, Attorney
P.O. Box 15696
Chesapeake, VA  23328
(757) 546-7969
Melissa Simmons
ghost

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 10:03:56 am »

Hi George, yes, that is great advice and a sound plan for increasing membership.  If every single member of every single club or association spreads the word and gets one or two members to join, our numbers will increase exponentially.  In so many cases, as Carla has pointed out, folks not joining clubs, associations or UFWDA has much to do with not knowing versus not wanting or needing the 4WD community.  As you state, new people who join are just as excited today as we were 'back in the day' whenever that day was.  And yes, they too are looking for guidance and "need us" so to speak.

But let's not forget, we need them too.  As land closures, trail closures, forest certifications and other issues get more complicated and confusing, it becomes more and more critical for our numbers to grow.  The more people we educate and involve in our sport, the more people we have involved, paying attention and helping make a difference for our side.  The more we _all_ know the better our chances for keeping our trails open - not just for ourselves - but for our kids and grandkids too.

One final thought - this Christmas I gave the gift of UFWDA membership to a friend just starting out.  Another way to introduce new folks to UFWDA and all that we have to offer.   Wink

Thanks for the great post George and all the good work in Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association.  Happy New Year and Happy Trails!

Melissa Simmons
Membership Director
George O. Thomas Jr.
Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 08:55:59 pm »

Thank You Carla, I want you to know you are doing  great things for our sport and UNITED.

Thank You Melissa and I agree we need to push for more members I wish you luck and success.

I will try to do all I can in Indiana to help your cause! because it is ours too!
Lets all work together and make 2007 one of the best years ever!
Trish Dinsmore
ghost

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 06:50:56 pm »

To the four wheeling community:

I find it very interesting that there are associations who show very little support to United. The Virginia Four wheel Drive Association-VA4WDA will send $8992.00 to United in dues for 2007.  We support United with 100% membership.  How do you value what United does for the sport of four wheeling? Is what you send to United in dues, 1%, 10% of your membership?  Is that how you value United?  What United does for our sport is more than the publication of a newsletter.  Our very right to enjoy four wheeling is a continuous battle that United is fighting for us.  Everyone should be supporting United with 100% membership.  You should be embarrassed not to.

Trish Dinsmore
Secretary, VA4WDA
Steve Jackson
Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
ghost

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 04:37:13 pm »

You should be embarrassed not to.

This is the second time you've said this here.  I'm all about the hard sell and the tough love, but you might want to evaluate this thinking.  Not all of us have the UFWDA attorney in our backyards working on-the-ground on stuff in our neighborhood.  It's a little harder to sell UFWDA to someone who can't see the tangible benefits.  Before you start typing, I'm not saying there aren't tangible benefits.  I very much support UFWDA and what they're doing and what they're trying to do.

Steve Jackson
Past President, Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
http://www.u4wda.org
http://www.utahoffroad.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: Newsletter question in regards to new Membership policies and cost « previous next »
Jump to: