UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 01:58:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,058 Posts in 3,262 Topics by 973 Members
Latest Member: lizwirgau
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Midwest  |  Topic: Member from Minnesota « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Member from Minnesota  (Read 1577 times)
John Thum
ghost

« on: May 17, 2007, 08:43:23 am »

I am wondering they are trying to close down alot of OHV trails here in Minnesota, trying to get info out of local organizations on this issue has been driving me nuts.  Spyder Lakes are is main area of focus on this, after years of trying to get this closed down it looks like this will come to be.  This is just crazy to me as over the years local clubs as of ours LAW4x4.com have adopted highways/roadways leading to this area. We also clean up the trails, and do what we can to help keep this a nice place to go.over the years they have done a nice job making trails, and trail signs have been posted telling us whats open, whats closed to ATV, BIke, truck... its a great place, and I fear if they close it down its just the sign of things to come due to we have so few trails here. 

Anyone have any info on this? or know if there is anything being done to stop this action?
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:27:59 am »

I would check with the local land manager of the agency that has control of the area.  Talk to them, to see what is the current plan and long range plan for the area.  If they are planning on closing it, ask them when the public comment period was, and where was the notice posted?

Thanks for joining United. 

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
David Westerberg
ghost

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:46:47 pm »

A bill has been introduced and passed containing the language no ORV trails in Cass, Crow Wing, and Hubbard counties. That means all of the current trails are closed and no more new trails will be allowed. The Foothills State Forest (aka Spider Lake) is in Cass County, so it's gone.

I am not sure whether this has been passed through the senate and the house and signed by the Gov, but it doesn't look good.  Although this is scaled back from the statewide ban that they were orignally trying to pass.
John Thum
ghost

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 08:50:56 am »

man they just dont understand in this state... there forcing people to do stupid things thus giving wheelers a bigger bad name.  ugh time to ask for my DNR sticker money back..
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 09:58:11 pm »

Is this public land Federal or State land?
If it is federal, then the county could not pass these orgnances outlawing the trails!

Worth looking into to see who the primary owner is?
Then maybe start a letter campaign to the local and state officials.
Get some people out there holding signs also, along with the media about the good things that wheelers do?

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
David Westerberg
ghost

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:40:17 pm »

It is state land and it was the State Legislative Body that passed the law.  It was originally for all state managed lands but they cut it down to these few counties. 
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:23:48 pm »

I feel for you guys. 
I am not sure what Carla can do to help with the possibility of a lawsuit to possibly overturn the law as being unconstitutional, and not allowing access for all.

Was there any process that the state followed in this closure/law enactment?
On federal lands, they have to complete a NEPA review prior to making a drastic closure like this.

There might be a state equivilent that they have to follow?

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
David Westerberg
ghost

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 12:18:44 am »

I was at an event yesterday promoting safe trail riding yesterday and the ATV people were complaining because they "only" had 1365 miles of designated ATV trails in the State.  Us Jeep/Truck people have 1 mile of designated trail now that they closed these three counties down.
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 11:14:05 am »

Was anyone from the state organization involved from the beginning of this land grab by the state?
Or did anyone know it was coming, and or been proposed in the state legislature?

I am sure they did not have any public comment about this closure that was planned.
To try and overturn in, could be tough.
I think I would start by asking some of the local businesses about the loss of income from these closures!  I am sure this could equal millions for them over the course of a summer. 

Good luck.

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
www.accessarmy.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Midwest  |  Topic: Member from Minnesota « previous next »
Jump to: