UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 10:47:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Due to spammers, registration via this forum is on hold. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
We are however happy to manually add you, so please email us at forums@ufwda.org
Admin Team
14,035 Posts in 3,241 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Constructing rock crawl sites « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Constructing rock crawl sites  (Read 1309 times)
Peter Vahry
UFWDA International Vice-President
ghost

« on: April 26, 2006, 04:05:02 am »

Hi, I'm working with a City Council here in New Zealand with the aim of creating an artificial rock facility on public land. I'm aware that there have been a few structures built in the US and would like to obtain some basic dimensions and photos of typical challenges. This exercise in only in the very early stages but some good reference material would be useful. If sending photos I don't need a high resolution ( a saving on download time!)

A direct email is mudchallenge@4x4challenges,org.nz

Regards
Peter Vahry

Auckland Four Wheel Drive Club Inc, 4x4 Challenges NZ Inc, NZFWDA life member
UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:10:31 am »

Peter I would suggest you get in touch with Big Rich from WE Rocks as I am positive he can give you some direction and guidance and I know they helped run some events in Australia last year as well...

http://www.we-rock.cc

They are members of UFWDA under their Organizational name of Cal-Rocs.

- Shawn

Forum Admin: United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Peter Vahry
ghost

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:17:06 am »

Thanks Shawn, I recall a facility being built in Columbus Ohio I think, which seemed quite innovative and someone might have info on that?

Peter

UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 02:30:18 pm »

Peter if you check the UFWDA Website unted Supporting Business Members you will find that "The Roc" is a SMB of United. 

http://www.ufwda.org/showmembers.php?cat=S#191

In fact there direct URL is: http://www.theroc4x4.com/

Here are some pics of their setup... kinda of a stadium idea with a few natural rocks strewn around as well.

For an added bonus here are some picturs of the KE Motorsports/Rockstomper supported UFWDA buggy at the WE Rock Grand Nationals last year.  Direct from "The Rocs" website:

Peter Vahry
ghost

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 04:20:20 am »

Thanks again Shawn, you're a mine if information! How is the artificial stuff received by rock crawlers? Would they prefer all natural or is the stadium concept of a compact site with an audience more popular?

Peter

UFWDA Forum Admin
UFWDA Forum
Administrator
ghost

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 07:56:49 am »

Hmm. difficult question.  Most of the man man sites I don't like, the material is hard on tires, knees and generally they are made to "break" vehicle with stupid climbs and cut backs and drop off's..  The one in Columbus is somewhat more realistic but also has some of those traits.  And scattering around some real rocks with dirt and such was interesting -  I like it better then others. 

The stadium concept has merit the problem is that the spectators are farther away from the courses then at a natural event.. while some of the promotors use more sense when roping off a course the idea of being able to watch the event from right next to the course instead of from behind a fence is more attrative to many of the current spectators.. but depening on some of the future thoughts there may be a way to build man made courses and still allow the same type of access (safety is a mjor concern).

Make sense?

Natural or natural like man made would be preferred by most I believe but much of it depends on the promotor, the thought behind the course and the local alternatives.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA General Discussion  |  General UFWDA Topics  |  Topic: Constructing rock crawl sites « previous next »
Jump to: