UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 01:01:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
ATTENTION: Delegates, Lifetime and Ambassador Members if you can not see or access "Delegate Level Private Forums (including Lifetime Members)" please send an e-mail to forums@ufwda.org requesting access.
14,035 Posts in 3,241 Topics by 971 Members
Latest Member: onejsmith
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Southwest  |  Topic: NV - Logandale trail had fence installed? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NV - Logandale trail had fence installed?  (Read 676 times)
Todd Ockert
ghost

« on: June 06, 2007, 08:30:45 am »

Carla or United Staff

Not sure what or if anything can be done to help out the local Nevada wheelers.
One of the local trails there had a fence installed to keep vehicles off part of the trail.  The trail ends further down in a canyon, and there are petroglyphs in there.  Some say the reason for the fence was to keep vehicles away from the petroglyphs. 
The motorcylces and quads have been going around the fence, and then someone spray painted part of the petroglyphs.  I would hope that the bike and quad guys did not do the painting?
The BLM is asking for help from some of the local clubs now, to extend the fence to keep the bikes and quads away or from going around the current fence and riding directly up to the petroglyphs. 
It seems as though this is a pretty well known canyon and spot to recreate by all. 

In my research, I could find no public notice to install the fence, or block off part of the canyon trail. 
I do understand that we need to protect treasures as these, and I know the local wheelers enjoy this area, and checking out the petroglyphs.  So, I am pretty sure they did not vandalize these. 

I guess, what I am looking for, is how do we get the BLM to remove the fence, and maybe install something that would actually protect the petroglyphs.  This fence is just a cable suspended by some poles.  I know the local jeepers have been burned by the BLM after they helped clean a canyon, then the BLM closed it.  These guys seem to have a habit of closing trails with no public comment, and or other solutions.  To them, it is just easier to close or fence the trail, and then walk away from it. 

I will keep researching this issue, but also looking for advice, and how we can provide some support to the local Los Vegas Jeepers to reopen part of this trail?

For those with GPS map programs, here are some gps coordinates to put you in the general area: Petroglyph Canyon - N36 32.234 W114 32.487

Todd
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:35:57 am by todd ockert » Logged

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Todd Ockert
ghost

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 12:34:43 pm »

After more research, and with info from one of the other local wheelers, the BLM put this fence up to stop vehicles from getting too close to the petroglyphs, and they are going to build a walking trail into the area. 
How long before they build the walking trail?  Not sure.
From what I can find, they did not do a public comment on this, and not sure if they needed to, since they are saying the fence was installed to stop resource damage.

More looking still, and research on the rules of NEPA!

Do not like fences, and I think they could install something that would allow the OHV's to drive closer, and then put a fence so people can not climb on, or get too close to the petroglyphs.   I think there is a better way to do this, then what they have.  People can still get on the rocks near the petroglyphs, and damage them with modern rock art(graffiti).

Todd

UFWDA Member #14102
Member of Cal4Wheel, Hanford Trail Busters, Rubicon 4WDA
www.accessarmy.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  Regional Focus - News and Local Events  |  Southwest  |  Topic: NV - Logandale trail had fence installed? « previous next »
Jump to: