YOU CAN STILL SIGN-UP. WE NEED YOU!
Everyone who signed up before 5/20 using the link below (or who called me) is guaranteed to be a Camp Jeep Trail Guide. Until the remaining slots are filled you will be assured to be a guide on a first come first serve basis. We'll be sending out a confirmation e-mail to you no later than 5/31 if you have already signed up using the link below. We'll include information about the June 9th pre-run, how to make lodging arrangements for Camp Jeep, your trail assignment, and give you waivers to sign and mail to me.
Modified 5/23/06 by Carla
Hello everyone. This is a long note but worth the read. We want to cover all the bases now so everyone is on the same page and knows what to expect.
But don't let the long letter scare you off. This is a really fun trail ride event!!
Camp Jeep is coming to Elkhart Lake, WI for 2006. Chris and Carla Boucher, the trail coordinators for Camp Jeep Virginia, have been asked by Jeep to coordinate the trail rides for Camp Jeep WI this year. They are volunteers with other jobs just like all of us. Carla (attorney for United Four Wheel Drive Associations) has contacted the WI4WDA and asked us to be the exclusive host association for CJWI. We're hoping you, or someone you know, would like to volunteer to be a guide.
Here's what you need to know to volunteer for CJWI 2006.
* Guides must drive a Jeep® brand 4x4.
* Guides must be members of both Wisconsin Four Wheel Drive Association AND United Four Wheel Drive Associations.
* Camp Jeep will be held August 10, 11, and 12, 2006 (Thurs., Fri., Sat.)
* There will be 3 trail rides times on August 10 (Thurs) at 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 4:00 pm.
* There will be 4 trail ride times on August 11 (Friday) at 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 4:00 pm
* There will be 3 trail ride times on August 12 (Saturday) at 7:00 am, 10:00 am, and 1:00 pm.
* Each trail ride will last approximately 2-3 hours.
* The trail rides every day will stage up at a predetermined space at Road America.
* The trails are located on private property in the Elkhart Lake area including the Road America site.
* 89 trail guides are needed.
* If more than 89 trail guides volunteer there will be a lottery to chose the guides. The first 89 names pulled from the hat will be guides and the rest of the volunteers will be put on an alternate list and used in the order in which their names were drawn.
* This lottery system was used in Virginia for the past 4 years and each year every alternate was used due to guides dropping out or not meeting the requirements discussed in this e-mail.
* Guides will be assigned approximately 4 trail-ride times over the course of the 3-day event as either leader, middle, or tail.
* Guides will get approximately one 1/2 day free to enjoy Camp Jeep (if there are no less than 89 volunteers for trail guides)
* Camp Jeep will be held at Road America. For information about Camp Jeep go to: http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/events/camp_jeep/index.html
* About 80% of all Camp Jeep participants are new to four wheeling. The job of the guides will be to guide a group of approximately 30 vehicles on a trail ride, including spotting and/or recovery when needed.
* There is a driver's meeting before each trail ride time so the participants know what is expected of them.
* Each guide, lead-middle-tail, will be asked to talk to the participants on their trail about the ride, be friendly, give some advice if asked pertaining to airing down, getting ready, driving, etc. At the staging are before the ride, each guide will ask every participant to engage their vehicle in four wheel drive to ensure that all Jeeps are in good working order (well, at least go into and out of four wheel drive), and hand out waivers or other instruction sheets from time to time.
* Guides will be required to attend one pre-run either Saturday, June 10 or Saturday, July 1 - you can pick but you must be there for one of them.
(You can attend both if you like.)
* Guides will also be required to attend the prerun the day before Camp Jeep on Wednesday August 9.
* Guides will be required to be at Camp Jeep August 9 by 12:00 p.m. (noon) through August 12 until 8:00 p.m.
* Guides will receive reimbursement for their hotel each day (in the amount of $120.00/day for the evening of August 9 through August 12) and a gas stipend of $15.00 per day for Thurs., Fri. and Sat. You do not have to stay in a hotel. You may camp, stay at your house if you live in the Elkhart Lake area, share a hotel room with others, or anything like that. The $120/day is yours to keep we simply ask that you show up each day clean.
* Guides and their family will receive complimentary entrance passes into Camp Jeep.
* Guide's Jeeps must have:
a 30' tow strap w/ looped ends
tow hooks front and rear (properly mounted D rings on bumpers, and 2"
rear recievers are o.k. - subject to inspection) ABSOLUTELY NO STRAPPING TO TRAILER HITCHES, TRAILER BALLS OR AROUND BUMPERS WILL BE PERMITTED.
If you are able to commit to attending two pre-runs (either the June 10 or July 1 prerun, AND the August 9 prerun) please go herehttp://members.aol.com/firstcolonial/guestbk.htm
and provide the information requested and answer a few questions for us.
Many of the questions will be used to gauge your experience, but will NOT have an impact on your selection as a guide. We realize that this will be a learning experience for those guides who have never done this before, as well as a learning experience for our participants.
Among other information, please have the following ready:
MAKE, MODEL, COLOR, AND TAG # OF YOUR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE JEEP MAKE, MODEL, COLOR AND TAG # OF YOUR TOW RIG (if you use one)
Please ensure the form is completely filled out before you hit the "SEND"
The form will go to Carla Boucher who will use the information to create trail assignments, order t-shirts, organize the guides, and stuff like that.
Also, please make an announcement at your next club meeting so that we can inform as many people as possible about the opportunity to be a trail guide.
We don't want to leave anyone out. If any of your club members do NOT have e-mail, please either volunteer to be their contact person or have them give us a call at (757) 482-7019 (Chris and Carla Boucher in Virginia).
THE DEADLINE TO SIGN UP IS
May 20, 2006!
Chris and Carla Boucher - firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Hannis - President, WI4WDA
(We apologize if you received this more than once, we have many different e-mail lists!)