UFWDA Community Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:12:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Download the membership application and join UFWDA. Your membership will help fund UFWDA activities towards keeping trails open.
Read more...
14,046 Posts in 3,252 Topics by 972 Members
Latest Member: Hiltz
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA Programs  |  Volunteer Trail Patrol  |  Topic: Colorado Trail Patrol « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Colorado Trail Patrol  (Read 4341 times)
Valerie Douglas
K.E. Motorsports - Team Rockstomper
ghost

« on: May 30, 2006, 06:28:45 pm »

Colorado is the first state to take a form of UFWDA Volunteer Trail Patrol and launch it state wide.  Our program includes working with area FS and BLM managers and personnel to assist in the education of proper user ethics regarding OHV's.  Our program is backed by the FS and BLM's approval and cooperation.  This took a lot of man hours to meet, draft training, make decisions on reporting, etc. but it has turned out to be a great program that was worth all the hard work during start up.

A pilot program was run in the Boulder Ranger District to get an idea if the program would work state wide.  The Boulder Ranger District gave the program glowing reviews after 4 months, and the decision was made to launch state wide. 

As of August 2005, the Colorado Trail Patrol (CTP) was launched state wide and included all user groups of OHV's to be trained (motorcycles, ATV's, side by sides, and 4WD). The CTP is part of the Stay The Trail Colorado campaign for responsible recreation.  As of June, 2006 there are 78 individuals that have completed training and certification for the CTP.  There are 200 more individuals slated to be trained in 2006 and approximately 600 in 2007. 
Chris Boucher
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:24:40 am »

Congrats on your accomplishment.  I am envious of your ability to find volunteers in your association to ramrod such a project.
Valerie Douglas
K.E. Motorsports - Team Rockstomper
ghost

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:27:58 pm »

Ironically enough it has been a 50/50 split between clubs in the association and general user groups not associated with a club.  Working with the Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition on gaining contacts outside of 4x4 clubs has been instrumental in the success and volunteer rate.  That coupled with the Stay The Trail campaing, which is in it's big awareness push this year, has also increased volunteer numbers and training sessions.  I know Carla thought I was crazy when I asked her what she thought about a state wide launch, but with the correct strategy, it is working so far.

I'll make sure I keep this board updated on the CTP progress.  There is an OHV Workshop in July in Steamboat Springs, CO that I am training a class at. It ties in well with the workshop theme of the implementation of the National OHV Rule and how user groups can help.
dds4x4
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »

GREAT job Valerie and all your fellow CO volunteers!

We hope to make it out to CO in 2007 for the United Annual Meeting, perhaps Gene (?) will show us some areas where you folks have been working.

Thanks for your efforts to keeps trails open and maintained for others too.
Don Porter
ghost

Fun

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 05:51:51 pm »

Is there a schedule for training re: the Colorado Trail Patrol Program for 2007?  I'm from FL, but spend several months each year in SW CO, Silverton, Montrose, Gunnison, and would be interested in qualifying.  Maybe qualification could be transferred to FL.  I don't see any FL involvement yet.

Somewhat modified 2005 TJ Rubicon
kf6zpl
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:18:21 pm »

Don:

As you LIVE in Florida and want to take something BACK to Florida, why not just take the UFWDA VTP training?Huh?

A write up is available at:  http://www.ufwda.org/trailpatrol.htm

Alll it takes is for someone to request the training and provide a location.......
Don Porter
ghost

Fun

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 09:20:17 am »

John,  If it's as simple as that - - I'll poll my local Ocala Jeep Club folks;  if there is a hint of interest, I or someone else will get back for a little more information.

Carla Boucher
UFWDA Executive Director & Legal Counsel
ghost

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:38:48 pm »

Don, I've perfected the training down to the point I now offer it via teleconference.  So, if you'd like to have the training done during a club meeting or an event where it is convenient for the most number of your members please let me know.  My contact information is included in my signature line.

The cost of the program is $35 per person and includes the training, the handbook, the paper work, a t-shirt, 2 trail decals, and an antenna flag to identify your vehicle. 

The easiest way to administer the program is for you to provide me with a list of the names, addresses, and shirt-sizes for all those that will be in attendance at the seminar via telephone.  Please let me know at least 2 week in advance of the seminar.  I will then ship the volunteer kits to your meeting location so that the volunteers have their kit at the time of the training.  You can collect checks from the volunteers at yor event or meeting and then remit them to UFWDA at our corporate address.  We trust our members and member club to know that if you set up the training we can send you the merchandise and then receive payment after the training. 

UFWDA has created this program to take the burden off of the association.  There's really no reason to start a seperate program in each state. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Carla
Volunteer Trail Patrol Coordinator

Carla Boucher, Attorney
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
P.O. Box 15696
Chesapeake, VA  23328
(757) 546-7969
Don Porter
ghost

Fun

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 05:38:05 pm »

Thank you Carla, I'll continue to check the interest of (at least) Ocala Jeep Club members.

Don Porter
ghost

Fun

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »

Not sure who to ask (Carla Boucher or John Stewart or someone else) and not sure if the question is appropriate this thread or another (but I've been active on this thread) Huh

Why does the Volunteer Trail Patrol program material I can read on the UFWDA site seem soooo insistent that the volunteers be sooo non-confrontational.  I don't mean to say that volunteers interested in correcting a problem (an offending driver) should have "license" to storm a person.  Just that if a volunteer happens on a "problem" that volunteer believes can be handled safely with a little discussion, that seems to be the way the problem should be expediently handled - - vs - - photos, report, get material to enforcement, wait.

I've been on trail rides in CO and UT and been party to handling a "problem" both ways.
1- ATV and rider parked 200' off trail, party of 6 Jeeps show, we park on the trail and designate goes to visit with offender (who was just looking for good foot access to river for fishing), problem solved. Smiley
2- Spot 4WD doing donuts in wet sensitive area high in the San Juans, CO, driver evaded discussion but not telephoto lenses.  Have heard he lost his (probably his Mom's) SUV. Grin

9ersgirl
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 05:09:09 pm »

I believe Safety for the Volunteer would be the answer.  In today's society of "road rage", "random shootings", etc.  It sometimes is better to be SAFE than Sorry.  A perfect example is up here in WI, a few years ago a hunting party was gunned down when they approached a trespasser.  Granted this is an extreme case, however you may never know what that other person has "up their Sleeve".

Amanda Cottrell
UFWDA Secretary
W4WDA Newsletter Editor
Carla Boucher
UFWDA Executive Director & Legal Counsel
ghost

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:26:37 am »

Why does the Volunteer Trail Patrol program material I can read on the UFWDA site seem soooo insistent that the volunteers be sooo non-confrontational. I don't mean to say that volunteers interested in correcting a problem (an offending driver) should have "license" to storm a person. Just that if a volunteer happens on a "problem" that volunteer believes can be handled safely with a little discussion, that seems to be the way the problem should be expediently handled - - vs - - photos, report, get material to enforcement, wait.

Don, this program was created in consultation with the Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Forest Service, and a few state agencies.  All these agencies were adament that a patrol program be non-confrontational.  The non-confrontational messages of this program stem from these agency concerns.  Several agencies offer their own "volunteer ranger" programs that require extensive time and training because of the concern surrounding personal safety of the volunteers. 

I stress the non-confrontational aspect of this program for three reasons.  First, to allay the fears and skepticism of agencies.  Second, to protect volunteer safety.  Third, to create a program that is a stand-alone program in locations where land-managers refuse to work cooperatively with volunteers. 

I hope that explains it satisfactorily.

Carla

Carla Boucher, Attorney
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
P.O. Box 15696
Chesapeake, VA  23328
(757) 546-7969
Don Porter
ghost

Fun

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 02:35:15 pm »

Thanks Carla

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
UFWDA Community Forum  |  UFWDA Programs  |  Volunteer Trail Patrol  |  Topic: Colorado Trail Patrol « previous next »
Jump to: